Soft soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonsma

Reaction score
I have been out of soap making for a long time and feel really stupid asking this because when I was making it I never had this problem. I made a batch with infused calendula in olive oil 48%, coconut oil 16%, mango butter 9%, jojoba 9%, cocoa butter 9% and castor oil 6%. Made it yesterday and it's still too soft to take out of the molds. Am I just being impatient or have I used too many soft oils?

I am fairly new to CP soaping, however IMHO yes you have too many soft oils there. I use approx. 35% hard oils and my soap is still a little soft, so I recommend going higher than that.

Also remember that olive makes a very hard soap - eventually. Takes months to harden up enough sometimes!

Google 'soap recipe' or have a look at the recipe and tutorial forum here for some more ideas.

Tanya :)

Too many soft oils? Only if my castiles are also too many soft oils LOL.

The recipe will eventually get rock hard with that much olive - no need to shift the recipe if you like the result.

Two questions: did it gel? what lye concentration did you use?

How much lye & water did you use? Did you see a good trace before you poured?

You don't need hard oils to make hard soap. 100% olive oil will be a nice hard bar after it's cured long enough.

Latest posts

Back