Soda ash! And a few other things!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat soap rulz!

Reaction score
Im starting to get really annoyed with the soda ash that's been forming on the top of my loaves lately! I can't find any 91% rubbing alcohol, so I'm using 70% and spraying once every 15 minutes for an hour. So they get sprayed about 4 times, then I leave them alone. But there has been a thin layer on my last 2 loaves. I unmold 18-24 hours later. Usually 18 hours later, but this time it was like 22 hours later. But I woke up and I had soda ash... Anybody know why??

How do yall package your soaps? I want to wrap in wax paper and close them with my label. I am going to try and start my Etsy shop by middle to end of august. I need to order boxes from uline, and need to get my tax ID number. I still have a few other things to sort out, but I think i can do it!

My soap heats up really quickly when I cover it. It was at 100 when I covered it, and about 5 minutes later, it was at 120. I am scared it will make a volcano... I will try it with my next soap, but I will definitely keep an eye on it and check temps regularly! Thanks!

gel and cover seems to be the best protection against soda ash. Alcohol provides a cover as does plastic film or a cover over your soap.

I soap at 110* and put them in a Timber mold with a silicone lining then in a polystyrene box and cover with a doona. I leave them for about 18 -24 hours before cutting. I wait for them to be totally cool and firm. I use the split method for milk soaps and have had no problems with overheating.

Even though you use 100% GM I think you are worrying too much about overheating after you’ve mixed the batter. Maybe let it gel (undisturbed is:don’t check the temps) Let it do it’s own thing and see how it goes.

Ok! Thank yall so much! I will definitely try it out next time! I will either cover with a piece of scrap wood from the barn (washed of course) or just a cardboard box if I have one that will go over my mold!

Im starting to get really annoyed with the soda ash that's been forming on the top of my loaves lately! I can't find any 91% rubbing alcohol, so I'm using 70% and spraying once every 15 minutes for an hour. So they get sprayed about 4 times, then I leave them alone. But there has been a thin layer on my last 2 loaves. I unmold 18-24 hours later. Usually 18 hours later, but this time it was like 22 hours later. But I woke up and I had soda ash... Anybody know why??

How do yall package your soaps? I want to wrap in wax paper and close them with my label. I am going to try and start my Etsy shop by middle to end of august. I need to order boxes from uline, and need to get my tax ID number. I still have a few other things to sort out, but I think i can do it!
To answer your packaging questions. Some people use olifen shrink wrap, wax paper, butcher paper, paper bags, etc. It really is a matter of personal preference and cost.

I don't ship any soap but I have bought some online and it had olifen shrink wrap around it. When I give someone soap for testing, I use a 4X5 in. or 5X7 in. paper bag, depending on the soap size. If it is less than 2 months old sometimes the paper will soak up some liquid. Some use wax paper to prevent this.

For MP soap I always use shrink wrap to keep it from sweating.

I put my soap in the small bags, fold them closed and use my business stickers to keep it closed and on the other side I put the ingredients sticker.

If you go the shrink wrap route, it will take a little practice to get it shrunk without making a hole in it. However most soapers don't care if there's a hole because it allows the customer to smell it.

I meant to add that I wanted something eco friendly, so I probably won't be going the shrink wrap route. Tho's little bags you mentioned? Are they plastic? Could you send me a link if they arent a plastic bag? Thank you!!!

I meant to add that I wanted something eco friendly, so I probably won't be going the shrink wrap route. Tho's little bags you mentioned? Are they plastic? Could you send me a link if they arent a plastic bag? Thank you!!!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VW1GRV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-YAfFbMJAQA5Y
They are paper bags but the ones with color or designs are not exactly cheap. However if brown or white is ok for you, then they aren't that bad.

I have mailed soap to friends and I use butcher paper, along with the stickers. It's a heavier paper and doesn't absorb much.

You can look into Biolefin.
It is marketed as a 90%biodegradable shrink wrap system. I’ve never used it and have only read info on it in passing.

I use the olifen to shrink wrap my MP bars. It is great for MP bars and if you are selling MP bars you are better off using the olifen but for CP soap, paper is just fine.

You can look into Biolefin.
It is marketed as a 90%biodegradable shrink wrap system. I’ve never used it and have only read info on it in passing.
Wow! After a bit of research, I am very interested! And it says that its the best choice for dairy-based soaps... So YEAH! I am open to more ideas, but this may be what I use! Thank you!!

14" 60ga. 4375' Biolefin 2.0 Biodegradeable Polyolefin
Why is it so expensive? It says its 300$ and doesn't even tell you how much your getting, and I can't go down on the amount? Maybe I'm dumb and don't know how o navigate through a website LOL!

Why is it so expensive? It says its 300$ and doesn't even tell you how much your getting, and I can't go down on the amount? Maybe I'm dumb and don't know how o navigate through a website LOL!
That is the price for a roll of 4,000 feet. They have smaller rolls of you can find pre-cut on Amazon

http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/order-shrink-film.htmlCheck these pages instead
http://www.nationalshrinkwrap.com/shrinkwrap-systems.html

Regarding soda ash, quoting from The Soap Maker's Planner by Jackie Ziegler, a longstanding and respected New Zea;and soaper: "... Soda ash occurs when the lye molecules react with the carbon dioxide in the air to form soda bicarbonate. It is completely harmless, but can ruin a design, eg a mica swirl on top. Do NOT spray alcohol on the surface of the soap. This will NOT get rid of or prevent soda ash. Instead, by spraying alcohol, you are actually cleaning the surface, allowing more air to reach the surface of the soap, and thus you are worsening the problem. To prevent soda ash, you can either limit air contact or reduce the amount of free lye molecules in the soap. To limit air contact, you can cover the soap with baking paper or wax paper. To reduce the amount of lye molecules in the soap, you need to complete as much of the saponification process as possible. You can either do a hot process (hot process never has soda ash), heat at higher temperatures, or ensure you stick blend long enough to reach a thicker trace. Cooler and more fluid soaps tend to have more soda ash."

Why do so many people say to spray with alcohol to prevent soda ash? I must have read this hundreds of times if not more???
A lot of people do have success with spraying alcohol, and a lot of people don't. It seems like everyone has to find what works for the combination of factors going on for that specific soaper: recipe, level of humidity, soaping temp, etc.

I soap pretty warm, use a water discount, and cover tightly -- and still get ash. I may try spraying alcohol again, but mostly I just leave it. If it's for a special gift, I steam it off or wash it off.

Latest posts

Back