Soaping in the heat of summer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funastrum

Reaction score
I have yet to soap, but plan on doing it today, since my fedex package of supplies arrives a day earlier than expected.
Am I destined to fail by soaping in 95 degree humid heat (thanks Pennsylvania)? I have an art studio that I use as my work space for most everything and it does not have air conditioning. The windows go from floor to ceiling, 15 feet, and are about 20 feet wide, the temperature inside is not much different from the outside when the sun arrives at my windows. I do have an ample amount of fans that help it feel better, but I don't know how much it would help soap...
I plan on using soaping101's Bastille recipe to start.

How can I make this happen?
Input would be MUCH appreciated!

That shouldn't be a problem. I live in Greece, were temperature is as high as this and I soap just fine. It's actually even better, since some oils (e.g. Coconut Oil, Palm Oil) are luquid in these temperatures and easier to measure and use.

You can totally soap in the summer! I do most of my stuff in the garage (in FL heat) and just bring it indoors after I have molded. If I don't want a gel I wait until the kids go to bed and soap inside so I can take the mold directly from the freezer and put it right back in.

Phew, that is a relief!
It is a little more humid in Florida than it is here from my experience, so it should be a testament of it being possible :)
Do I have to worry about insulating the mold even with the heat, or should it be fine alone? I don't want it to overheat either (or is that just a concern with using the oven?). Since it will be my first batch, I would like a gel rather than not. I just don't want a partial gel.

Thanks!

I have not made much soap this summer because I am a wimp about the heat, but it can be done without ill effect to the soap. For me it is just a matter my own comfort level. It has been in the 90's and humid here and my apartment has poor air circulation and no AC so it is warmer then it is outside. I have drastically reduced how much soap I have been making because of this and hopefully will be able to pick up again in September.

Are you using a silicone mold or a wooden mold? If silicone and you want gell, you'll probably still need to wrap it even with the warmth of your studio. If you have a wooden mold, keep your eye on it. If it doesn't get warmer within the first 30-45 minutes wrap it up.

Hello! I just moved next door to Ohio from Oregon. Holy cow we are so not used to this heat and humidity (It's currently about 90 and we've been having non-stop thunderstorms since we arrived)! I'm worried about where to store my soap when its done since hubby isn't a fan of the scents. I don't want to store it in the garage because I'm worried the heat (cold in winter) might mess with the soap. My only other option is a damp basement. Oh the dilemma!

I have yet to soap, but plan on doing it today, since my fedex package of supplies arrives a day earlier than expected.
Am I destined to fail by soaping in 95 degree humid heat (thanks Pennsylvania)? I have an art studio that I use as my work space for most everything and it does not have air conditioning. The windows go from floor to ceiling, 15 feet, and are about 20 feet wide, the temperature inside is not much different from the outside when the sun arrives at my windows. I do have an ample amount of fans that help it feel better, but I don't know how much it would help soap...
I plan on using soaping101's Bastille recipe to start.

How can I make this happen?
Input would be MUCH appreciated!

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic space with all those big windows! I live in the HUMID and HOT south. I have no problem making, gelling(I still wrap and then stick in the garage which is WARM) cutting, or storing soaps successfully. We do have central AC in our house, but it still gets a bit warm when its almost 100 degrees outside! Guess we need more insulation. So anyway, I think you will have no problem whatsoever as long as you have a good recipe and practice techniques.

Latest posts

Back