Soaping 101 liquid soapmaking video?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeeAnna, please clarify: A clarification needed about DeeAnna's Water+Glycerin method (Water weight = KOH weight.
Glycerin weight = 2 x KOH weight)
When full Glycerin method is used, we add KOH to room temperature glycerin and then boil it to make it completely dissolve.
If we add KOH to 1 part water at room temperature it would dissolve by itself without any external heat. Then after adding the 2 parts glycerin to this lye solution, do we need to boil it before adding it into the oil pot? :confused:
(i read in this thread somewhere and I vaguely remember that you add 2 parts room temperature glycerin to the already hot KOH water without heating the mixture further. But I am not sure if I have understood it properly what you have said, hence clarify please)

Also please tell me if sodium lactate is necessary to dilute soap paste irrespective of method used. Can one skip using sodium lactate all together ?

Last edited:
Although I am not DeeAnna, and I have once used the glycerine method, you don't have to boil the water - KOH - glycerin mix at all.

It's an eco friendly method as the only heat that you will need is the one that the reaction of KOH and water will give you.

Just right after the KOH is fully dissolved in water then you add quickly the glycerine and after a few minutes of hand mixing you must add all these in the oils pot so as not to loose too much "physical" heat.

Eco friendly and very fast KOH soap creation method. Thank you DeeAnna.

Last edited:
Although I am not DeeAnna, and I have once used the glycerine method, you don't have to boil the water - KOH - glycerin mix at all.

It's an eco friendly method as the only heat that you will need is the one that the reaction of KOH and water will give you.

Just right after the KOH is fully dissolved in water then you add quickly the glycerine and after a few minutes of hand mixing you must add all these in the oils pot so as not to loose too much "physical" heat.

Eco friendly and very fast KOH soap creation method. Thank you DeeAnna.

Thanks ngian. Now it is clear about this method. Please tell me about the Sodium lactate query in dilution

Sodium lactate is said to make the dilution phase faster. I haven't tried it, you can do a test and see it for yourself.

It is an optional ingredient though as I guess only time is influenced by its usage (and maybe adds a little humectant property).

Sodium lactate is said to make the dilution phase faster. I haven't tried it, you can do a test and see it for yourself.

It is an optional ingredient though as I guess only time is influenced by its usage (and maybe adds a little humectant property).
Thanks ngian :)

Dingi- the SL is optional. I've diluted my paste with it, and also without it. I choose to use it because it makes the task of diluting go much easier/quicker for me in comparison to without.

IrishLass :)

Dingi- the SL is optional. I've diluted my paste with it, and also without it. I choose to use it because it makes the task of diluting go much easier/quicker for me in comparison to without.

IrishLass :)

Thanks IrishLass. Thats nice to learn that it is optional (because it can happen sometimes that SL is not available with me or in store). Now it is very much of clarity to me about this SL. :)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VUGV_H7bZU&list=TL0x7l9bj9OF5Hyaf8GG5E1GlasWG69xFS[/ame]

I am thinking its time to make some liquid soap for first time using KOH and following the instructions of this video with glycerin...

I would like to ask you
1) if i put some essential oil or a FO on the final liquid soap will it be still clear thick gel? Will it separate either??

2) Why some people use preservatives? I know that KOH and NaOH are compounds that prevent bacteria growth cause of the pH of the final soap.

Last edited:
Update: After reading many many posts on this topic i decided to make some GLS soap for first time following IrishLass method (post #8 ) and using DeeAnna directions on post #76 (1 part water/1 part KOH and then 2 parts glycerin)...

I think it came out good so far, i made zap test on different parts of the paste and there isnt at all...

It remains the dilution process which maybe the difficult part for me... Could i make it now or i have to leave it overnight and wait until tomorrow???

Last edited:
You can wait as long as you like to dilute. Just store the paste in an air tight container so it doesn't dry out. Some people store soap paste in a cupboard. Others store the paste in the refrigerator.

I don't dilute all of my paste right after I make it. The paste is easier to store than the diluted soap. I also use the paste for household cleaning -- just put some on my scrub pad and scour away.

I forgot to mention that the whole procedure was fun!

So i ll store the paste on this air tight container and i will continue with the dillution after 5-6 hours... I think its ok...

"The paste is easier to store than the diluted soap".

I am sorry but what do you mean by that? I cannot understand why...

Last edited:
"...I am sorry but what do you mean by that? I cannot understand why... ..."

Paste takes up less storage room than diluted soap because you are storing just the soap, not all the added water as well.

Soap paste is also not runny, so you can store it in a plastic bag rather than a jar, if you prefer.

"...I am sorry but what do you mean by that? I cannot understand why... ..."

Paste takes up less storage room than diluted soap because you are storing just the soap, not all the added water as well.

Soap paste is also not runny, so you can store it in a plastic bag rather than a jar, if you prefer.

Now i think i catch it! Thanks!

I found that jar yesterday and it can accomodate the dilution liquid (water and SL) too... So i am thinking on making the dilution on that jar...
Or its gonna evaporate water and i have to measure paste weight again???

Last edited:
It should not evaporate much liquid. But please understand that you need to not count on your dilution liquid to be a certain amount. Sometimes soap paste requires more water to dilute it than others. And your paste looks fairly stiff, so I would not be surprised at all if yours required a bit more liquid.

Now i think i catch it! Thanks!

I found that jar yesterday and it can accomodate the dilution liquid (water and SL) too... So i am thinking on making the dilution on that jar...
Or its gonna evaporate water and i have to measure again???

IL and I both use canning jars to dilute. I just put in the paste and the water, put a lid on it and leave it for several hours before checking and stir it with a chopstick. Then I add more water if I need to, but the lid back on and leave it for a few more hours. I repeat this until it is all dissolved. I have found it takes about a day to a day and a half and anywhere from 60 - 70 % water weight to dilute my paste.

I lid it to prevent evaporation and to keep anything from falling into it.

Thank you both for your posts...

IL also mentioned SB stirring during dilution on the initial post...

Thank you both for your posts...

IL also mentioned SB stirring during dilution on the initial post...

Yeah I do not do that. She also heats hers in a canning pot. I think it just speeds up the process, but if you just let it go, it will dilute fine.

My paste was really taffy with clumps I used about 80-85% water for dilution so far using IrishLass method...

I wouldnt use more...

This is whats going on now.. Its a white cloudy layer.. Is it normal??

DSC05977.jpg

Really sorry for the large pics...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back