Diluting Liquid Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello soap fam. Hope everyone is doing well !

So I understand the process of making soap .

I have never made liquid soap before. But watching YouTube the step are pretty straight forward.

The diluting is where im a little lost . Also the preservative. How to know how much ?

Im going to start with making a Castile liquid soap. But I would like to formulate my own soap later down the road.

I also use soapcal for my cold process. Does that work or is there a better calculator for liquid soap.

Thankssssss :)

Im going to start with making a Castile liquid soap.
OH NO! I'm here to tell ya, of all the LS formulas out there, 100% Olive Oil (Castile) is the hardest to make... especially for a Newbie to LS. It takes the longest to trace (45 minutes for me) and the longest time to cook (10 hours for me) but that's when I first started making LS in 2004. You would be better off making 50/50 Coconut/Olive.

New to Liquid Soap

Advice for LS Newbies

The diluting is where im a little lost .
Questions About Dilution

Last edited:
Q; I have never made liquid soap before. But watching YouTube the step are pretty straight forward.
A: It may seem that way but you're better off following the advice above as well as the links to @DeeAnna 's Soapy Stuff.

OPTION: Post a link to the video in the Recipe Feedback Forum for advice before trying it.

Q: Also the preservative. How to know how much ?
A: Do the research. Fully saponified liquid soap requires NO preservative, However, some LS'ers may be adding it for reasons of their own. NOTE: There is no preservative formulated specifically for LS. Nasties don't survive in an alkaline environment.

Q: I also use soapcal for my cold process. Does that work or is there a better calculator for liquid soap.
A: I have been using SoapCalc to make LS ever since I first started soaping. Just be sure to tick KOH and 90% KOH and tick Water:Lye Ratio and type in 3:1

HTH and GOOD LUCK! :computerbath:

OH NO! I'm here to tell ya, of all the LS formulas out there, 100% Olive Oil (Castile) is the hardest to make... especially for a Newbie to LS. It takes the longest to trace (45 minutes for me) and the longest time to cook (10 hours for me) but that's when I first started making LS in 2004. You would be better off making 50/50 Coconut/Olive.

New to Liquid Soap

Advice for LS Newbies

Questions About Dilution
Okay this is good to know . I thought it could possibly be easier . Thanks for your the insight

Q; I have never made liquid soap before. But watching YouTube the step are pretty straight forward.
A: It may seem that way but you're better off following the advice above as well as the links to @DeeAnna 's Soapy Stuff.

OPTION: Post a link to the video in the Recipe Feedback Forum for advice before trying it.

Q: Also the preservative. How to know how much ?
A: Do the research. Fully saponified liquid soap requires NO preservative, However, some LS'ers may be adding it for reasons of their own. NOTE: There is no preservative formulated specifically for LS. Nasties don't survive in an alkaline environment.

Q: I also use soapcal for my cold process. Does that work or is there a better calculator for liquid soap.
A: I have been using SoapCalc to make LS ever since I first started soaping. Just be sure to tick KOH and 90% KOH and tick Water:Lye Ratio and type in 3:1

HTH and GOOD LUCK! :computerbath:
Thank you very much

Latest posts

Back