Soap scent could attract mosquitoes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve also tried using neem oil on my roses to deter aphids. Did nothing to keep them at bay. 🤬

You can use the same neem oil that you use on plants in your soap. Neem oil in soap still retains the scent. I’m personally not a fan and haven’t used it since. Someone in here uses lime FO to complement the scent of neem oil. Haven’t tried it yet but, in theory, I could see why they anre complimentary scents. Also didn’t find it did anything to help my daughter’s acne.

I have a theory that the strength of the scent of one’s neem soap may depend at least somewhat on the source of your batch of oil, plus the other oils in the recipe. Mine tends not to be that strong, and it blends very well with Dragon’s Blood FO. No one who smells this soap smells neem at all, even at 20%.

I can’t say whether it deters mosquitoes as this is my husband’s soap, and they never, ever bite him anyway. He is 0- blood type, for what that is worth.

I have a theory that the strength of the scent of one’s neem soap may depend at least somewhat on the source of your batch of oil, plus the other oils in the recipe. Mine tends not to be that strong, and it blends very well with Dragon’s Blood FO. No one who smells this soap smells neem at all, even at 20%.

I can’t say whether it deters mosquitoes as this is my husband’s soap, and they never, ever bite him anyway. He is 0- blood type, for what that is worth.
Well, I have some dragon's blood so maybe I"ll try it. Not sure what blood has to do with it, as B+ gets mixed reviews at this house. LOL

Not sure what blood has to do with it, as B+ gets mixed reviews at this house. LOL
There was some reference in posts above to theories that blood type makes a difference in who gets bitten. I think it has a lot more to do with hormones, blood sugar levels, and scents that may be applied via soaps, lotions, etc. ;)

There was some reference in posts above to theories that blood type makes a difference in who gets bitten. I think it has a lot more to do with hormones, blood sugar levels, and scents that may be applied via soaps, lotions, etc. ;)
I brought up blood type because my husband claims that’s why he gets bitten - I think he’s just warmer and gives off more CO2.🦟

I brought up blood type because my husband claims that’s why he gets bitten - I think he’s just warmer and gives off more CO2.🦟
Funny, my DH is the warm one in our family, and he doesn't get bitten.

All I know is that the person who figures out why some people don't get bitten, and then packages that for the rest of us - that person will be an instant billionaire!

@Blufuz Thanks for clarifying that, good to know!
@Quilter99755 That was what I thought, four people aren't enough of a pool. I do wonder if they big numbers were on the mosquito side instead. I had not heard of Vitamin B complex, I will tell my hubby about it, he is the one that usually gets bitten first.

@Blufuz Thanks for clarifying that, good to know!
@Quilter99755 That was what I thought, four people aren't enough of a pool. I do wonder if they big numbers were on the mosquito side instead. I had not heard of Vitamin B complex, I will tell my hubby about it, he is the one that usually gets bitten first.
Yes, it was lots of mosquitoes. I think the research question was whether different soap affected their preferences; most of the paper is dedicated to the chemical profile of soap scents combined with humans odors. They call their own paper a “proof of concept” on a method for profiling the different odors so more studies can make a large database of what soap ingredients and odors repels mosquitos and what attracts them. Since they are from a wildlife department, my guess is they also want to see better mosquito repellents that aren’t awful for the environment or health.

I’m publishing an article with the same journal, iScience, right now! I was tickled to see one of their articles make it all the way here 😊

@glendam I thought a study with four people wasn't much of a study to establish their theory. Years ago I read a larger study...have no idea where...that said it was blood type. But that study was easily disproved in our family as all of us are B +. One of my daughters and I get chomped on within 5 minutes of being outside, while my other daughter and husband get ignored. This was in the proving grounds of Alaska in the summer time! Never heard about pickle juice but I did try a garlic supplement which didn't work. I got a little respite from a Vitamin B complex pill. It did not change with menopause either. And it has not changed since we moved to Idaho. I still take the Vit B complex and I still think it helps a little, but I'm lucky to get 30 minutes on the patio in the evening, while my DH can spend the evening outside without a bite.

@contrinokathy What kind of neem oil do you use for your soap? I'm only familiar with the kind you buy at a gardening center. And that smell is not something I'd want in my house. Does the smell lessen after you make the soap? I've only used it on plants and was not very successful against aphids. Of course I'm not known for having a green thumb. LOL
I buy unrefined neem from new directions. While its smell is pungent - and no lie it is - the soap initially has a trace scent of it but after the cure there is no discernible neem scent.
Seriously - this stuff is incredible in soap.

That’s funny - that could be true for me too. When my husband and I are outside together he gets devoured and they leave me alone. He says it’s because he is O negative, universal donor. I don’t know what my blood type is but I like to think it is “be positive” 😉.
I'm an O positive and mosquitoes love them some me. But my daughter has the same blood type and they leave her alone. I still don't get it.

@Blufuz I would like to see your article once it is published, if already is, do you have a link?
It’s not yet, should be within the next month, but I don’t know if it would be of general interest 🙈

I do basic neuroscience research about sleep deprivation, so the article is about brain signals we can measure from people non-invasively that tell us how long they’ve been awake.

Soap making is how I can apply my scientific mind to more immediately observable effects 😅

It’s not yet, should be within the next month, but I don’t know if it would be of general interest 🙈

I do basic neuroscience research about sleep deprivation, so the article is about brain signals we can measure from people non-invasively that tell us how long they’ve been awake.

Soap making is how I can apply my scientific mind to more immediately observable effects 😅
Please do provide the link! As someone married to a spouse with REM sleep disorder, I am always morbidly interested to read anything about sleep deprivation. I already know it makes one fatter and grouchier, lol, but there is always more to learn!

@Blufuz that does sound interesting to me as well, as a night owl I have always been interested in this topic, even chose to speak on sleep deprivation once; when I was part of Toastmasters many years ago.

Well now this new article confirms that “monoterpenoid eucalyptol”, aka eucalyptus scent, helps ward off mosquitos:
https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(23)00532-8
Thanks for the article...I will have to dig deeper into it once I get my new reading glasses! Talk about a sleeper! Chemistry was not my best subject at any point in my life. It was interesting that the paper mentioned the presence of eucalyptol was present in the person least bit by mosquitos "likely from a plant based diet" The only time my hubby has ever been bitten by mosquitos is when he is alone. Those little suckers have no choice in the matter. However, he is a strict Meat and Potatoes guy, so definitely not with a plant based diet!

We lived in Alaska for 31 years and for 20 of them used a sauna for our shower. We always used eucalyptus oil in the sauna and will have to admit that I cannot recall ever seeing a mosquito in the sauna...and there was a hell of a lot of easy biting when both of us were in there! LOL I may have to look into eucalyptus oil for a batch of soap. Thanks for the article, will have to read it again to let my brain absorb it fully.

I have made nothing other than neem oil soap since last year and have had no mosquito or fly bits since. I use no bug spray on what is basically a wetland. I do not use EO and make unscented soap which is just as effective.
None of my soap smells like neem and I use as much as 15%.
I am a firm believer in soap as bug spray
Thanks for this post! I was so intrigued by what you said that I ordered neem oil for the first time. Mosquitos really love me - and I'd like to find something natural to repel them.

Do you have any recommendations for making this soap, beyond keeping it unscented? Is 15% neem oil ideal? Should I gel the soap or not? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Back