Soap scent could attract mosquitoes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic! I think they’re a bit overzealous claiming that it’s the fruity-floral scents that were causing the effect, since each soap they tested came from a different brand, but maybe more research will help us formulate the best mosquito repellent soap without having to smell like neem oil 😊

Fantastic! I think they’re a bit overzealous claiming that it’s the fruity-floral scents that were causing the effect, since each soap they tested came from a different brand, but maybe more research will help us formulate the best mosquito repellent soap without having to smell like neem oil 😊
Citronella!

Eh, maybe. Last I heard they are attracted to our sweat. Soo... who knows what's true lol. I do know they used to want to eat me alive alot more before menopause. So there's that.
That’s funny - that could be true for me too. When my husband and I are outside together he gets devoured and they leave me alone. He says it’s because he is O negative, universal donor. I don’t know what my blood type is but I like to think it is “be positive” 😉.

I also believe that blood sugar levels have a lot to do with it, at least for some folks.

When I was eating strict keto (supporting Mr. Oop who was trying it for medical reasons), it was the only time in my life that mosquitoes left me alone. Normally I am first choice on their menu, even when no one else gets even a nibble.

Sadly, when we ditched keto, the effect wore off. We have some camping planned for this summer, so maybe I should go keto now to get prepared. Ugh.

That’s funny - that could be true for me too. When my husband and I are outside together he gets devoured and they leave me alone. He says it’s because he is O negative, universal donor. I don’t know what my blood type is but I like to think it is “be positive” 😉.
lol, yeah, I've suddenly become alot less delicious apparently. They used to make a bee line for me and they ignored him like he wasn't there. It's weird. Not that he gets bitten. They just kind of ignore us both.

maybe more research will help us formulate the best mosquito repellent soap
That's interesting @Kari Howie! @Blufuz, lemon eucalyptus seems to stick in soap and it is very citronella-like to my nose. I've read somewhere that it has mosquito repelling qualities, but can't remember where. It might be something to look into.
Lemon Eucalytus EO, definitely. When my nephew got married in the chapel beneath the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, all 25 guests stayed in a Villa there. Because I read that mosquitoes were rampant there due to recent rains, flooding and mud slides. I made enough mosquito repellent for everyone. My niece was particularly vulnerable. Her comment, "I don't mind smelling like Lemon Pledge when I enter a room. This stuff works great and I'm grateful for it!"

After the wedding when all the guests were leaving, my sister gave her spray to the son of the owner of the villa who had been their host and concierge during their stay. He was departing for a trip down the Amazon River the following week. A month later, he wrote to my sister in Seattle to thank her again for the spray and that he was mosquito bite free for the entire trip, although, because he shared it with his travel mate it got all used up!

Lemon Eucalytus EO, definitely. When my nephew got married in the chapel beneath the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, all 25 guests stayed in a Villa there. Because I read that mosquitoes were rampant there due to recent rains, flooding and mud slides. I made enough mosquito repellent for everyone.
Could you share the recipe? 🙏 I’m also going to Rio soon need all the protection I can get!

I haven't read the article yet, but just my 2 cents ~ I am an O type and have always been eaten alive. Many drs and nutritionists have put in their best advice so over the years and I've been told mosquitoes are attracted to "sweet" blood, and I am a carb and sugar addict 🙄 I learned some tricks while living in the south (central Arkansas, before I moved to Florida) and people there do one of 2 things: 1) drink pickle juice or vinegar daily (they even give it to their dogs to help repel ticks too) or 2) take garlic & yeast supplements, which is much stronger than #1. If taken daily you will actually put off a slightly yeasty-garlic smell when you sweat . . . but you won't get bit! It seems extreme, but it's way better for you than 100% deet, which is what is sold in every store down there 😱
Now, all that being said ~ I heard the same basic story about scented products attracting bees, which seems more plausible. I had friends who were allergic to bee stings (that's how I learned about epi-pens), and they were told not to wear/use floral scented anything so as to not become the target, but I never heard it attracted mosquitoes 🤷🏼‍♀️

I make only neem oil soap and I don’t smell like neem oil. The bugs don’t care for me anymore and I never use bug spray on a property identified as a wetland

I have made nothing other than neem oil soap since last year and have had no mosquito or fly bits since. I use no bug spray on what is basically a wetland. I do not use EO and make unscented soap which is just as effective.
None of my soap smells like neem and I use as much as 15%. It isn’t effective against noseeums but early reports are that ticks are also repelled.
You don’t have to believe but I have given soap to 50-100 people and no one has come back and said it doesn’t work for them. This matters to me because I also own a native plant nursery and desperately want people to stop poisoning the planet with bug spray.
I am a firm believer in soap as bug spray

Which Essential Oils Repel Mosquitoes, Flies, and Ticks?​

Which essential oils work to repel bugs? The answer depends on which bug you’re wanting to keep away. I’ve got a more detailed table below, but here’s a good introduction to some of the most effective essential oils for repelling mosquitoes, flies, and ticks.
Mosquitoes: lavender, geranium, lemongrass, eucalyptus, citronella, and others
Flies & Gnats: lavender, patchouli, rosemary, peppermint, spearmint, and others
Ticks: lavender, lemongrass, eucalyptus, rosemary, sage, thyme, and others
Courtesy of DIY Bug Spray that works! {kid safe options}

The study is interesting, but I was surprised at the small pool of only four people. Also, It would have been more interesting if instead of “extracting” their scent they would have exposed them to an area with mosquitos and see how many actual bites they got. I suppose few people would volunteer for that. However, considering that male mosquitos don’t bite humans or animals but only feed on fruit and plants, it makes me wonder if they controlled the gender of the mosquitos, I don’t recall seeing that. So it would make sense for the male mosquitos to be attracted to fruity scents.

The study is interesting, but I was surprised at the small pool of only four people. Also, It would have been more interesting if instead of “extracting” their scent they would have exposed them to an area with mosquitos and see how many actual bites they got. I suppose few people would volunteer for that. However, considering that male mosquitos don’t bite humans or animals but only feed on fruit and plants, it makes me wonder if they controlled the gender of the mosquitos, I don’t recall seeing that. So it would make sense for the male mosquitos to be attracted to fruity scents.
They used female mosquitos, it’s deep in the methods of the original paper.

@glendam I thought a study with four people wasn't much of a study to establish their theory. Years ago I read a larger study...have no idea where...that said it was blood type. But that study was easily disproved in our family as all of us are B +. One of my daughters and I get chomped on within 5 minutes of being outside, while my other daughter and husband get ignored. This was in the proving grounds of Alaska in the summer time! Never heard about pickle juice but I did try a garlic supplement which didn't work. I got a little respite from a Vitamin B complex pill. It did not change with menopause either. And it has not changed since we moved to Idaho. I still take the Vit B complex and I still think it helps a little, but I'm lucky to get 30 minutes on the patio in the evening, while my DH can spend the evening outside without a bite.

@contrinokathy What kind of neem oil do you use for your soap? I'm only familiar with the kind you buy at a gardening center. And that smell is not something I'd want in my house. Does the smell lessen after you make the soap? I've only used it on plants and was not very successful against aphids. Of course I'm not known for having a green thumb. LOL

Back