Soap Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several factors that can affect the results you get using an unlined HDPE mold for CP (unlined except for the silicone mat in the bottom, of course, which is about as much trouble as blinking your eyes). How hard or soft your recipe is; how long you leave it in the mold; whether or not you gel; and, perhaps most importantly, whether you use sodium lactate.

I've heard you can also make unmolding easier and smoother if you pop the whole thing into a warm oven for a few minutes before you start unmolding. Your mechanical approach matters, too. You'll get better results if you gently twist the sides off, and push your soap out from the bottom or the top. It might not go as well if you just drag the walls sideways away from the soap.

My understanding is that over time, as your mold becomes more "seasoned," it will try to stick to the sides of the soap less and less. Maybe the HDPE absorbs a little bit of the oil from the batter as you use it repeatedly?

It IS somewhat more involved than peeling off your freezer paper or popping soap out of a silicone cavity mold. But in my opinion, totally worth it.

It handles my HP beautifully. Unmolds quickly, smoothly, and easily. Perfect sides, edges, and corners. (You'd think I sell these things or something! I don't.)

Latest posts

Back