soap is messing with me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PippiL

Reaction score
I always use the same oils, changed the batteries of my scale,triple check when I put everything together, I fully gel in the oven than towel, but...
two of my batches ,the tops are zapping.The last soap ( picture attached) is ok, but the soap feels softer than my usual soap, even after 2 weeks....
It's frustrating.I hate to rebatch nice looking soap :(
I made soap today, PLEASE come out fine !!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[/list]

Are you saying that your soap is still zapping after 2 weeks, or that it is still soft after 2 weeks?

Some soaps can zap up to a week after unmolding. I had a batch once that zapped for 6 or 7 days before finally becoming tongue-neutral.

Also- sometimes a soap can go through a spotty gel where some parts of the soap go through a hotter gel than others. I don't know 100% for sure if that is what is going on here, but I throw that out there as a possibility.

For now, I would just continue to let it cure and keep an eye on its progress.

IrishLass :)

the first batch was zapping even after 2 weeks, I cut the tops of.
The soap in the picture is fine, just very spongy soft,never had that before.I figure, the curing time will just take longer.It's funny I made that recipe just a hint harder....
I always gel my soaps because I'm afraid the soap somehow would be lye heavy,which of course shouldn't be.

if the tops zap it's likely the soap sweated during saponification, and spongy can indicate overheating too. give it time, and rinse the soap (or shave the tops off) to see if that helps.

gelling won't do anything about lye heavy - it just shortens the time in the mold, really, and does impact the color in some cases. oh and apparently also helps the soap hold up a bit better in the shower (something to do with the crystalline structure... you'll have to read Dr Dunn's book).

I had a similar situation. I had changed brands of olive oil, and suddenly, my soaps were softer. I went back to my usual brand, and the problem seems solved. I also considered whether I was stirring my palm oil enough (to get the steric acid up from the bottom) and whether the basement being colder than usual was affecting things. All in all, I think it was the olive oil, but I can't be totally sure.

the sweating theory makes sense.I built a dome with plastic wrap for my higher tops.But I have done that plenty of times,never had that problem?
I shake my palm oil after melting and always use the same oils.
I just molded that soap,lilly of the valley and guess what I"M CURSED !!!!
The same thing,rest of the soap is fine,tops are burning I would say, not zapping,but nevertheless.I bummed a little.
Is there a chance for the burning to disappear after a good cure? I always rebatch to fast.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

it could disappear. if not, give your soaps a good rinse and if it's just residual on the surface you wash it away.

IrishLass said:
Are you saying that your soap is still zapping after 2 weeks, or that it is still soft after 2 weeks?

Some soaps can zap up to a week after unmolding. I had a batch once that zapped for 6 or 7 days before finally becoming tongue-neutral.

Also- sometimes a soap can go through a spotty gel where some parts of the soap go through a hotter gel than others. I don't know 100% for sure if that is what is going on here, but I throw that out there as a possibility.

For now, I would just continue to let it cure and keep an eye on its progress.

IrishLass :)

I think it's possible with the first soap.

I wish I knew the answer to the spongy soap- I had one that stayed soft for a month- I assumed it was too little lye and rebatched it. I still have no idea if that is what it was.

I would leave them go for the time being and come back to them later. See if rinsing helps those tops.

I think I have lick poisoning today.No kidding.Maybe I should lick the lye of??
I hope nobody can see me.
I just want to now why?? Drives me crazy?

I've had it happen when lye sweats off the top for whatever reason. I have scoured various forums and things and could never find an answer for it.

Do you have ash on top of these soaps?

This article may not answer your question but it explains a bit about ash which can sometimes still give you that zap as the lye precipitates out of the soap.
It's from my favorite blog:
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2011/05/secret ... onference/

Stinkydancer,thanks for sharing.It looks ashy, I don't mind ash to much, but if the ash substance burns, that is a different problem.
My husband always tells me to wait, but if the top still burns after 2 weeks, I think it's time to cut the tops of.I just have to figure out, why all of the sudden this happens.I will make goats milk and salt soap today :)

Get an oven thermometer and check to make sure your oven isn't on its way over to the enemy.

Sometimes oven thermostats go bad and the internal temperature of the oven is much higher than the setting indicates.

Did you change your olive oil? Using a different brand?

I had olive oil issues once that gave me similar issues.

No, using the same olive oil from Sam's club.I made two batches of soap today,one GM, I'm not worried about and one regular in my slab mold this time.I cross my fingers.

Back