Soap is dark only on top...what happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambers_artworld

Reaction score
Hi there, probably a noob question but I just cut this batch recently, and even though it did gel all the way through, the very top layer that was exposed to air and not insulated by the wax paper, turned a brown color. The rest stayed white. The tops were textured so I didn't put wax paper on them but I did wrap the molds in wool and loosely laid it on top of them too, just making sure to not touch the textured tops. I'd love to know what I did wrong so I can avoid in the future. I used candy cane FO and TD; oils were crisco (new w/palm), olive and coconut. Soaped at around 100 degrees.

Sorry for the bad pic, it's the only one I have on hand at the moment. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/254/img1485w.jpg/

Thanks for the help!!

vanillas brown when exposed to light - so likely the whole thing will brown in a little while.

really lovely soap.

Brambleberry.com sells a vanilla stabilizer, but it is really only for M&P soaps.
Its performance in CP soap is marginal at best... maybe 6-9 months, but then the browning sets in again.

Darn...I had a feeling. Well, I guess I'll just have to be strategic about which fragrances I choose when using white. Thanks so much!!

can't help with the browning... but

Very pretty soap!

Looks like ice cream :)
Even if the vanilla turns brown it will still look delicious!

Thank you!! We'll see how it looks in a couple months when it's all brown, hahaha :) I don't really care how it ends up looking though, because it smells so good! :)

Question!

I am planning on making a batch tonight using a candy cane fo from SweetCakes (OP, where did you get your cc fo?). I couldn't find anywhere whether there was any vanilla in it. It's mint, so I was doubtful, but being a candy scent I figured there was a possibility... Where can I find whether there is vanilla in any particular fo's? I have a vanilla stabilizer and will use it tonight if need be, but how do you know for sure?!

BTW, OP, I loved that soap pic~ too pretty! :D

Carol

Hi Carol! I got mine at Nature's Garden, it smells amazing. Nobody cares that it isn't white. I don't know where to find whether a FO has vanillin or not, but it does mention it in the fragrance description. I'd love to know how it turns out with the stabilizer!

I can't wait to get this one made up! I love peppermint candy & so does the rest of my family. I've got 2 mini Pringles cans lined, as well as my smallest box mold. For the cans I want to put spots of red (I got Red Velvet LabColor from BB) around the edges and swirl them gently in towards the center to try to get a peppermint candy look. :D

Thanks, DragonKaz!! I really don't mind the color either. For me, it's all about how it smells and feels.

Back