Soap for Dogs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherSage

Reaction score
I have a lot of people asking me about bars of soaps for their canine companions. I started doing some research and wondered if anyone has made any dog bars using M&P base. What fat is recommended for their dry skin?

I make a doggie shampoo bar, I got the recipe online "free" for the using, tried it, people seem to like it. Trying to remember what's in it.....4-5oz. soap base, liquid glycerin, castor oil, vit. e, and peppermint & teatree EOs.
ETA: I don't have a dog myself, I can only say that I've gotten feedback from a couple of people and they said they really liked it. I'm currently sold out and have to make some more. :eek:

I have a good hot process recipe. I put in a dog bone mold. They have sold fairly well. Uses EO, Fir Needle, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus and patchouli. Natural way to keep the fleas off. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe. [/url]

The one I make is M&P base (to suit your mold), a bit of mineral oil or olive oil (not too much), peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, citronella, clove, and/or tea tree oil - bugs hate all of those - and a small squirt of herbal soap like Dr. Bronner's (sometimes I leave that out).

My personal favorite (for efficacy) is eucalyptus/peppermint with a tiny touch of TTO.

I have been looking into that myself lately. I'm still too nervous to make anything for my dog (feels like animal testing lol) But I will tell you that human conditioner and dog conditioner are exactly the same. There's no need to spend four times the $ on a bottle with a dog on it. So I see nothing wrong with getting a conditioner (as natural and healthy as you can) and adding the few drops of eo to it.

robindeb said:
I have a good hot process recipe. I put in a dog bone mold. They have sold fairly well. Uses EO, Fir Needle, lavender, tea tree, eucalyptus and patchouli. Natural way to keep the fleas off. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe. [/url]

I thank you robindeb, but I have not yet made anything with the hot process, though when I am ready may be I will take you up on that.

I've been using my regular cp soaps on my Chinese Crested. They seem to be working just fine. She's the hairless variety, so she doesn't have much hair to deal with. Here skin is very healthy, though - no dryness.

I belive I read that dog's skin has a different ph that humans. That's something to take into consideration.

Back