Soap bar for babies and kids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make a really nice kiddie soap for my 7yo using lard, rice bran, avocado, castor, and goats milk. I don't use ANY coconut oil and this soap has a rich, creamy lather that is very gentle. My kiddo tolerates FO with no problems now but I also make this unscented/uncolored and it is a beautiful yellowish color with a sweetish, goat milky scent. I do use cute animal molds just to make it fun. This is also the soap I use when my skin is really dry.

Here are a couple of pics. The yellowish one is the unscented/uncolored version, the purple one is Lavender/Chamomile.

:shock: I love, love, love these!!! My 8 years old daughter too!

Doing a hot process and adding your chamomile infused oil as a superfat after the cook would probably give you the best chance at getting a bit of scent and goodies from that to survive. Carrot turns a not-so-pretty orange-brown color when it's hot processed though. You can mask it with a bit of cocoa powder and call it chocolate :)

I'm sure it's been said a million times here, but if you're using essential oils in anything, I highly recommend the Essential Oil Safety book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0443062412/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I was able to get a free 1 week trial on amazon and found it's well worth the money.

You can also get the MSDS for your oils from the manufacturer and run the constituents through the IFRA search for safe skin levels (#9 is soaps): http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/standards-library

Last edited by a moderator:
Doing a hot process and adding your chamomile infused oil as a superfat after the cook would probably give you the best chance at getting a bit of scent and goodies from that to survive. Carrot turns a not-so-pretty orange-brown color when it's hot processed though. You can mask it with a bit of cocoa powder and call it chocolate :)

I'm sure it's been said a million times here, but if you're using essential oils in anything, I highly recommend the Essential Oil Safety book: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0443062412/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I was able to get a free 1 week trial on amazon and found it's well worth the money.

You can also get the MSDS for your oils from the manufacturer and run the constituents through the IFRA search for safe skin levels (#9 is soaps): http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/standards-library

Not to high jack this thread, but I've been doing a ton of research and I've noticed that a lot of people on etsy and the like use essential oils that are on the IFRA banned list. Why would they do this? Is it dangerous?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to high jack this thread, but I've been doing a ton of research and I've noticed that a lot of people on etsy and the like use essential oils that are on the IFRA banned list. Why would they do this? Is it dangerous?

My guess is that they just wanted to make a quick buck and did not do extensive research as an entrepreneur or using EOs efficiently and safely. In a word- yes, what they are doing is very dangerous. I would love to say illegal too but I would need one of the vendors here to verify that.

I'll give lard soap a try! Here in Spain soap is considered not suitable for babies. But now that mine is 18 months old I am thinking about a good mild soap.
Here we use OO among all fats and oils, it's the cheapest! What do you think about:
50% olive oil
30% lard
10% almond
10% castor

10% SF or it's too much?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'll give lard soap a try! Here in Spain soap is considered not suitable for babies. But now that mine is 18 months old I am thinking about a good mild soap.
Here we use OO among all fats and oils, it's the cheapest! What do you think about:
50% olive oil
30% lard
10% almond
10% castor

10% SF or it's too much?

Thanks!
You may want to lower that superfat to 5% or maybe lower to 3%. 10% superfat is a little much for a soap with high amounts of soft oils and 10% castor oil. Actually, some may even advise you take at least 5% out of the castor oil and allocate it to the lard.

I don't think most have bad intentions, I just don't think they know any better. Just like fragrance manufacturers have everyone thinking all fragrance oils are safe, MLMs have everyone thinking all essential oils are safe. They're not all bad, they're not all good. People don't think to do their own research.

You may want to lower that superfat to 5% or maybe lower to 3%. 10% superfat is a little much for a soap with high amounts of soft oils and 10% castor oil. Actually, some may even advise you take at least 5% out of the castor oil and allocate it to the lard.

^ This.

I would also do without the almond oil. It is not going to add anything to that soap that the other ingredients don't already bring.

Latest posts

Back