Looking forward to learning…

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey!!!

I am new around here and just started making CP soap, have made HP soap before but so far my adventures in CP have been exciting failures.

I am a mom of two kids and two dogs living in Ontario, Canada. Studying cosmetic chemisty and hoping to turn something I love into a business.

Thanks so much for having this forum, I cannot wait to have a calm knowing that my oils will turn into soap. 😁

Question(s) to follow in another thread! These are my couch hog dog babies.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 0
Welcome! The pic of your dogs is too funny!

So, what happened to your CP soap? For the most part, it should be just like HP soap, without the cooking. Let us know if we can help!

Welcome! The pic of your dogs is too funny!

So, what happened to your CP soap? For the most part, it should be just like HP soap, without the cooking. Let us know if we can help!
Thanks, I figure everyone loves seeing puppies.

As per the soap, I have no idea. I pulled it out of the mold, cut it, then wrapped it back up. I kept these out for the sake of note taking.

They are sitting next to a hot crockpot incase heat will help and maybe this is just gel phase? Just don’t know why the large oily circle in the middle. 🧐

I LOVE your dogs! lol, too cute!
Thank you!

Welcome HD.
Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Fwiw, I only do HP, although I have done one batch of CP. I don't know anything about the gelling stage or what to do with it once it's poured. CP seems harder to me for some reason.

That ring is indeed a sig of partial gel - something that happens in CP sometimes. Fortunately it's just cosmetic, and the soap still looks pretty!

You can avoid partial gel by soaping at somewhat higher temperatures, or by insulating the soap really well, or by adding extra heat with a heating pad (my fave) or by putting it in a warmed-and-turned-off oven. Even now, you could try putting all the soap back into the mold, covering it up, and putting it on a heating pad for a few hours. The oven might also work, but there is more risk of overheating the soap if you don't watch it very, very carefully.

That ring is indeed a sig of partial gel - something that happens in CP sometimes. Fortunately it's just cosmetic, and the soap still looks pretty!

You can avoid partial gel by soaping at somewhat higher temperatures, or by insulating the soap really well, or by adding extra heat with a heating pad (my fave) or by putting it in a warmed-and-turned-off oven. Even now, you could try putting all the soap back into the mold, covering it up, and putting it on a heating pad for a few hours. The oven might also work, but there is more risk of overheating the soap if you don't watch it very, very carefully.
Amazing, thank you!

I have wrapped it and shelved it. Trying to find a heating pad.

Welcome to the forum!:) Are you using lye calculators to come up with reipes for soap? A lye calculator such as Soapmaking Friend will give you a good idea if your recipe will work well.
I started with soap calc and just playing with different recipes and then printing and comparing results - trying to learn the qualities all the different oils provide. Lol. There are probably better ways to learn but it’s baby steps at this point.

I am definitely trying to glean all the information you beautiful humans are sharing through all the various threads. Osmotic learning is the ultimate life goal. :)

I was playing with the one on this forum and kept receiving error messages. I will figure out the assuredly user error and then dig in.

My mini-me has been home sick so I am in crafting stasis.

Thanks for all the welcomes and fantastic vibes of this forum.

Latest posts

Back