So Stolked!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just placed an order for more lye! Previously I was ordering in 50# bags so this is the smallest order I have ever put in at 2#s! Stolked to get back into soapmaking again. I am digging through my old recipes that I have. Probably going to start with Castile as it is my go-to!

I am still re-researching suppliers, so much has changed since I last soaped and a lot of the businesses I used to frequent are no more!

I came back after a stretch away and was shocked at the established businesses which had gone away. And especially how much supplies had gone up. It must be even worse for you (my hiatus was only seven years and it seemed like some FO companies had almost doubled their prices.)

It's sad that many of our TNT suppliers are no longer available.

For me it's wax, scents. Wondering if my past scent supplier had sold their excess to another company and to who?
I have a few personal favorites that I liked. Makes me wonder if playing chicken with another supplier just to see if it's the same scent and quality is worth it.
I've always been particular with the bottles. It used to be Amber. Now that cost is outrageous.
Plastic bottles were always iffy. Never liked how they would expand to the point of splitting open, leaking all over in a closed cabinet away from sunlight. Heat and cold fluctuations. But hey, anyone walking into my home always said my house smelled good.Lol!

I just placed an order for more lye! Previously I was ordering in 50# bags so this is the smallest order I have ever put in at 2#s! Stolked to get back into soapmaking again. I am digging through my old recipes that I have. Probably going to start with Castile as it is my go-to!

I am still re-researching suppliers, so much has changed since I last soaped and a lot of the businesses I used to frequent are no more!

Holy cow! that's alot of lye you used to order!
I assume you were selling your products? Or just super addicted to this hobby ;) How long had you been away?
Glad to have you back!!!

I just ordered about a dozen fragrances from Wholesale Supplies Plus (I had been buying on Amazon but I found quality control issues.) They seem to have reasonable prices and shipping is free if you order at least $25.00 -- which is almost impossible not to do. I might be sitting in lifetime soaping rehab next to @Ephemerella if I keep this up.

Holy cow! that's alot of lye you used to order!
I assume you were selling your products? Or just super addicted to this hobby ;) How long had you been away?
Glad to have you back!!!

I just ordered about a dozen fragrances from Wholesale Supplies Plus (I had been buying on Amazon but I found quality control issues.) They seem to have reasonable prices and shipping is free if you order at least $25.00 -- which is almost impossible not to do. I might be sitting in lifetime soaping rehab next to @Ephemerella if I keep this up.
Yeah!!! I used to sell to friends but not really officially. I was just super addicted and hated being nickel-and-dimed buying small quantities of lye! The guy I used to get it from was a biodiesel producer. I used to get it for around $1/# so it was a good buy!

Glad to hear WSP is still around! They are great! I used to order from them when I was soaping...As far as how long I have been away. Good question! I think it has been about 5-6 years!

....Just saw my stick blender was delivered !!! Lye comes today! WOOOO!

Yeah!!! I used to sell to friends but not really officially. I was just super addicted and hated being nickel-and-dimed buying small quantities of lye! The guy I used to get it from was a biodiesel producer. I used to get it for around $1/# so it was a good buy!

Glad to hear WSP is still around! They are great! I used to order from them when I was soaping...As far as how long I have been away. Good question! I think it has been about 5-6 years!
Hopefully your biodiesel producer is still around. Because $1 a # seems beyond just "a good buy!" Does lye go bad after awhile? I am still working on my first 5 lbs I bought. But, I sat on it for a year before I worked up the courage to try cold process soap.

Hopefully your biodiesel producer is still around. Because $1 a # seems beyond just "a good buy!" Does lye go bad after awhile? I am still working on my first 5 lbs I bought. But, I sat on it for a year before I worked up the courage to try cold process soap.
It doesnt really go bad per se, but it will absorb water and cake up, so it is best to keep it in an air tight container. 1 bag would last me a year or so ! Used to keep it in a 5gal pail

Back