so my friend wants coconut raspberry?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntedsoaps

Reaction score
welp, my friend had asked me to make him a coconut raspberry soap, with money being no object. lol. Of course I said yes! I want to take this task and see what I can do. Im not sure if I want to do a 2 band look of half white and half red, or swirl it in. This will be my 4th batch of soap.

I will be superfatting the coconut oil to keep it with the theme, and then does anyone know of how to get raspberry in here? like I've seen it before but any ideas as to how? like what products can I purchase to give it that scent and color?

Are you sure your friend did not mean the scent of coconut with raspberry? My personal preference is to never go above 20% coconut oil in any recipe except salt bars but I have heard some like it high.

For the scents, I have not found any purees to retain a scent after saponification. You could use raspberry fragrance oil, or coconut or both together. I buy mine from a few different places like Brambleberry, wholesale soap making supplies and Naturesgarden.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:
It sounds yummy and a swirl would be really pretty. Post pics when it's done!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

If he wants a coconut oil soap with a raspberry fragrance that is easy. If he wants a soap with coconut oil and raspberry fragrance that is much harder. Coconut fragrances turn from tan to dark brown and have a tendency to overheat. There is a company that sells a body safe coconut macroon fo but does not state if it overheats. Think out your colors since you will be dealing with a fo that discolors. Sorry to say you are working with one of the hardest fo fragrances to use. Search the suppliers and read their descriptions well and do not depend on it going exactly like you visioned. I know of several coconut fo that are delicious but really need to be hp'ed and turn medium brown. Fruits and herbs will not retain any fragrance in your soap. Good luck to you

thanks everyone, Ive been trying to find a fragrance oil for raspberry and scents of CO. but from what I've red, the raspberry Is either a brown or deep green oil, and ive tried 100% CO bars and loved them! I may do a 20% CO and 80% Palm Kernel oil. and layer a red top to it, I was thinking about the swirl but he wants a layer. what can ya do.

any essential oils you guys recommend for a deep red color? I understand that the more I use the darker it shall be.

Why would you want a eo to color red and I do not know of any. If you even find an eo to do the coloring job you are going to add another layer of fragrance to your soap. In my opinion red is one of the hardest to get in soap and if you do get to a true red it is going to be a very messy color leaking soap. You can try red iron oxide.

yeah so after trying to think of an easier way to get this color scheme, because you guys are scaring the bijesus out of this noob. lol. I plan on doing a mixture of melt and pour. Im gonna try to find an oil with maybe a bay rum scent/fragrance, and for the red, im going to do an MP process of glycerin and dye it red with food coloring. I really would like a translucent red, but I don't see how I can do that. hows this sound? to me, much easier. lol

Best to use colors made for mp since they are formulated to work in low ph soap. Use an ultra cleas mp base. By the way, not all raspberry fo's turn dark. In fact none of my raspberry turn only the coconut. Did you look up the Coconut Raspberry FO?

Grunted,

It really is not as scary as it sounds, but if you insist on doing it your way then it will be. All you really need is your regular recipe plus a scent (Essential or fragrance oil) and a color (Mica, pigment or clay).

But you cannot get all the qualities you are seeking by buying one thing because while essential and fragrance oils can cause discoloring or coloring of their own it is usually an unfortunate thing because they are not supposed to give color.

Again though, you will likely not find a coconut scent with raspberry combined (although possible if you really look for it), so that leaves buying them separate but using both in the soap.

Color is pretty easy though, make sure its for soap making and how to use it. Does it mix with water or oil or either? Is it for CP or HP? I have never tried using food coloring or melt & pour coloring in cp. It may work, likely not.

Nature's Garden has a raspberry FO that has no vanilla content and says it doesn't discolors. I've never used it though.

CandleScience has a body safe Raspberry Macroon fragrance. Sorry to disagree on color being easy, red is not. Red morocaan clay will give a terra cotta color, merlot mica with red liquid dye will give a red but not a true red. Of course it all depends on the color of your base oils.

Well ive been looking for a coconut raspberry scent and have no luck finding it. If I found that combo or if anyone knows where I can find it, that would be awesome. color wise, ive seen a glycerin/oil layered soap before, I know its possible at least. but if I can make 3/4s a batch just the pure white coconut then mix in some color with food coloring or natural pigment, id be all for it.

You guys have definitely helped guide me along my way, but im a little thick headed when learning. lol

Candle Science has a Raspberry Macaroon that is awesome. Also, I get a pretty true red with Red Oxide or the Red from Nurture Soap Supplies mixed with a bit of Tomato Red liquid from Nature's Garden.

CandleScience has a body safe Raspberry Macroon fragrance. Sorry to disagree on color being easy, red is not. Red morocaan clay will give a terra cotta color, merlot mica with red liquid dye will give a red but not a true red. Of course it all depends on the color of your base oils.

I hear what you are saying, but I don't think raspberry needs to be a true red. The real fruit is kind of a deep reddish pink to me.

now that macaroon one sounds insanely good. I might have to buy extra for myself! I will also look up that red oxide, I think im gonna make a batch of CO soap and then empty 3/4s of it, and dye the 1/4 and layer it on top. I hope I can have them merge together with them being a few minutes separate of each other.

looking at those colors, im not making that big of a batch, a little over 4lbs; is there a powdered version I can use? or something more manageable than a small flower that's an oz? lol

Latest posts

Back