So glad for the weekend!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
Well, more than the weekend, I am happy to have my work caught up, so I can enjoy the weekend, namely MAKING SOAP. I have not made any in 2 weeks! For months I had enjoyed making soap instead of putting together my students' portfolios, and with the school year winding down, I had to get them done.

I tried to post this morning, but when I hit submit, my computer burped and the upload failed. So I went ahead and made my soap. It is my first OMH. I'd used oatmeal before and milk several times, but it was my first honey. It did not turn out as white as I had hoped, but will still be a good soap. I used WSP's OMH fragrance oil. Smells good!

So what are you making this weekend?

I'm going to venture into using goat's milk. I need to get it in the freezer today. I'm also contemplating making soap from the coconut milk I tackled a few weeks ago. My garden is calling me though!

Congrats on the OMH. I bet it's lovely.

This is a wildly busy weekend, full of projects. I have already made a batch of beer soap for a friend, made with her husbands home brew. I have another that I did with patch and lavender, colored with lavender clay and activated charcoal.

I picked up the lumber to make 2 more loaf molds and am just waiting for my brother in law to cut it for me when he gets done with work this afternoon.

Then, I need to make another batch of tea tree oil, some laundry soap for my sister, and I have one more idea floating around my head, but I am not quite sure how to scent it yet. I have a smidge of patch left, and want to combine it with clove. Unfortunately, I am out of orange, because that is what I really want to add to it.

Since it's finally starting to get warm here, I'm cleaning up our yard & doing some spring cleaning inside. Fun times.
But I'm running low on Lavender soap, which means I'll be doing a big batch of that on Monday. I also need to get some herbs infused for my next batch of castile soap.

I was busy all week making soap like crazy and actually took last night off. I plan to make some more tonight though and likely will not get back to making more until Tuesday the way my schedule is looking, so I best enjoy tonight's soap while I can ;-)

Spring Cleaning!

My soaping this weekend was all about getting rid of odds and ends!

-Using up the palm oil because I was gifted beef fat that I rendered and I am going to be using it in place of palm.
-Using up some PKO I bought to try but never did.
-Using up the leftover mango seed butter and switching to shea.
-Using up the sample size of avocado butter.
-Using up all of those steeping herbs and spices in olive oil for color.
-Using up those bottles of FOs and EOs that were almost empty.

!:) Soon I'll have enough room to go shopping again :)!

I made a 4 pound batch of beer soap and rebatched all of my odds and ends to ship off to Clean the World this week.

Like Genny, a lot of time was spent cleaning up our yard and prepping our garden space for planting (not til mother's day weekend!). My allergies are nutso now...so my neti pot is the next thing on my to do list!

My soap project for the night is currently waiting for the oils and lye to cool down, so I am purusing the forum while I wait :) My allergies are going nuts right now also. I have been sniffling and sneezing for two days.

My brother in law is so handy. He cut the lumber for me then asked if I wanted him to put it together for me. He has an air nailer so it would be much faster even with set up for him to use the nailer. I now have 3 loaf molds! Then, the best part is that there was enough scrap that he built a cutting jig for me. No more epileptic monkey cuts for me!

ETA: I tried out the new jig this morning and it works beautifully. Now my loaf soaps are all the same size!

My brother in law is so handy. He cut the lumber for me then asked if I wanted him to put it together for me. He has an air nailer so it would be much faster even with set up for him to use the nailer. I now have 3 loaf molds! Then, the best part is that there was enough scrap that he built a cutting jig for me. No more epileptic monkey cuts for me!

ETA: I tried out the new jig this morning and it works beautifully. Now my loaf soaps are all the same size!

Sounds like you have had an AWESOME weekend!:)

Were you happy with your results? Soap anything interesting?

Yes, I was happy with the result. I used Mountain Lake FO and did blue and white tiger stripes. I think it came out very well, except for a slight case of ash on the top. I has been forgetting to spray with alcohol the past couple batches I made.

Yes, I was happy with the result. I used Mountain Lake FO and did blue and white tiger stripes. I think it came out very well, except for a slight case of ash on the top. I has been forgetting to spray with alcohol the past couple batches I made.

Sounds nice! I always get a little ash on top. Seems like I should be spraying with alcohol. How does it work? just 70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle? give it a little spritz once you pour?

Thanks!

This weekend is being spent organizing my soap lab and supplies....no fun! :sad:

But I will be soaping with hemp milk and coconut milk for the first time later this week, and I'm sure I will appreciate the organization! :smile:

Today I am also planning on making an OMH soap with Goat Milk, the OMH fragrance oil is also WSP. It is the only one that I have ever tried. This past Friday a friend asked me when I would be making more. I just finished the yard work, and this one week makes me itch like crazy! I am glad that is done, it is getting real hot here. I'm excited now I get to play making soap!

Sounds nice! I always get a little ash on top. Seems like I should be spraying with alcohol. How does it work? just 70% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle? give it a little spritz once you pour?

Thanks!

Yes, just put the alcohol in a PET spray bottle and spritz some on the top before you put it to bed. Most people I have seen recommend 90% isopropyl, but I have been using 70% because it was what I could find.

Back