So confused about colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenobiah

Reaction score
I have never used colorants not found in my kitchen before. And I am incredibly confused as I sit here trying to get an order together.

What I would like (if possible): Liquid colors not containing parabens that are usable in CP soap as well as lotions.

If anyone knows if this is something that exists and can point me to where to get it, I would be very grateful.

And what about vanilla-based FO's? I have heard people mention some kind of stabilizer for these scents so the soaps don't go jet-black. Where do I get this?

I am ordering (probably) from Brambleberry as they seem cheapest for my small amounts. WSP seem more expensive for small quantities. If you have a better idea (I am also ordering a bunch of oils and FO's as well as packaging) let me know.

Thanks guys! I am finally getting my soaping together again after the move!

Someone just posted a link to a "natural" colourant list elsewhere on this forum. On the same site, they sell liquid dyes that aren't too expensive, (when you factor in the small amount you have to use). For you, right now, this product would be of no use to you as it is presently "out of stock", but I've book marked it myself, for future use. In the past, I've found that some of the less expensive dyes need so much to achieve a decent colour, that they become rather expensive. This one states that only a couple of drops per pound are necessary AND that they work in CP without morphing or becoming affected by lye.

As far as the vanilla stabilizer goes, I believe that they are only good for MP, and don't work in CP.

Thanks! I considered the natural pigments but that seems too labor-intensive at this point in order to get the colors I want.

I think I have seen the same set (or a very similar one) at Kangaroo blue. So this product would work for both CP soap as well as lotions?

you can use td(tititanium dioxide) which is white colorant for those vanilla fos that discolor, or bitter creek DOES have a van stabilizer, it does work in cp. theres that nice couple that makes soap, forgot their name, made some dragons blood soap with it, you can maybe look at past post about this?

Zenobiah said:
I think I have seen the same set (or a very similar one) at Kangaroo blue.
On closer inspection, they're probably not the same (but I DO think their worth bookmarking for future use :lol: ). The bottles are a little different and mine says "Kolourscope™ Dyes are manufactured exclusively for The Original Soap Dish® to ensure the highest quality, and competitive pricing. They have been tested extensively in cold process and hot process soapmaking. and doesn't mention MP. Your link is good for both methods and has way more colours (and some good ones, I might add). Neither site list's ingredients (that I could find, anyway) so it's hard to be sure.

So this product would work for both CP soap as well as lotions?
um, I'd have to actually TRY some on me before I could say that, and I haven't purchased it (it's out of stock for me too, LOL) I was just pointing out the link for future use. But if I were to guess, the site says "These dyes are for external use only, and should not be used on the lips or any mucus membrane.", so for a hand or foot creme, I would think yes. For facial cremes, lip balms, or maybe even body cremes/lotions, I would probably look to something else.

Either way, thanks for posting the link. We can't have too many resources. :wink:

Select Shades are made with germall plus, which doesn't have parabens. But at that use level I cannot imagine it matters, realistically.

carebear said:
Select Shades are made with germall plus, which doesn't have parabens. But at that use level I cannot imagine it matters, realistically.

Hehe, it probably doesn't matter to anyone but me. I have seen Select Shades mentioned before on the forum (when I searched). I see it for sale at Tradewinds. Is that an okay site to buy from?

Latest posts

Back