SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second and final attempt is in the oven. Loving the entries so far!

I cut my second M&P Clyde Slide attempt this morning. The first one was poured too warm, and the two colors melted together making pink. The second one was poured cooler, and the colors remain distinct. However there doesn't really seem to be any feathering like you can get with CP soap. But I did try for the Clyde Slide (using a small shoebox sized mold), so I am posting it here.
IMG_20160721_123213.jpg

I know it looks layered about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way up, but I think that happened because with so many colors to heat up and cool down, they cooled at different rates and I ended up having to reheat some of it to finish the pour. I also had some more solid bits falling into the soap while pouring because of the different cooling rates. So even though I poured the different colors into the container before pouring into the mold, it all still cooled at different rates, making the pour a bit tough. I don't know how these experienced MP soapers manage fancy designs.

I am not all all experienced with doing swirls with M&P, but I brought it along on the trip for something to do with granddaughter and I think this one turned out pretty even if it doesn't really resemble a Clyde Slide. She thinks they look really cool, so it was a hit.

Dibbles- I low how all of your attempts turned out, I love the colors in your entry one. Where do you get your colors?

Dibbles- I low how all of your attempts turned out, I love the colors in your entry one. Where do you get your colors?

Thank you. I think they were all Nurture mica's. The purple is Wisteria with a little black and the turquoise is the new tropical teal. I'm not sure about the green and I'm not at home. I'll check and edit this post. I'll try to remember tomorrow. DD and SIL are in town and I get to have all 4 kids at once. Happy mom.

ETA: The green I used is Lorne Green from Mad Oils

Last edited:
coming down to the wire I made my soap tonight. But it was way too thin to pour so I left it and went to do something with my printer and you can guess what happened next.... by the time I got back to the soap it was almost to plop and glop stage. I poured it anyway and there are a few nice feathers on the surface but I have my doubts about the inside! It's my only chance at an entry though. Here's hoping!

I'm going to attempt my third try some time today and not use so many colors or pour so many times. I'm going to use vinegar as my solution so it will harden fast and I can unmold it quicker. Don't know what FO to use though. I've got so many to try...

coming down to the wire I made my soap tonight. But it was way too thin to pour so I left it and went to do something with my printer and you can guess what happened next.... by the time I got back to the soap it was almost to plop and glop stage. I poured it anyway and there are a few nice feathers on the surface but I have my doubts about the inside! It's my only chance at an entry though. Here's hoping!
It looks great, Guspuppy!

Guspuppy, that is absolutely gorgeous!! Oh my gosh. Totally jealous. I want that soap. What FO did you use. (It's probably posted above and I've forgotten already. Gotta go back and re-read your post about making it.) I think you've discovered the key. Thick(er) soap batter. Although I like both of my soaps that I've made for this challenge, I poured at thin trace and they're just not what I was hoping for. This time, I'm going to wait for a thicker trace, but not quite pudding. I'm going to try rice bran oil for the first time, too. I usually add shea butter as my "luxury" oil, but when testing new oils, I sub the shea for the new oil. That's going to be the rice bran today. I'm also going to test a new FO and hope it accelerates a little bit (but not too much). Although, I do know the Bungle in the Jungle accelerates and it turns out I love that FO after it cures even tho it stinks like BO when OOB. Go figure.

My attempt yesterday did not retain the swirl. I poured at too light a trace and forgot an ingredient, which was important as the soaps was for my blacksmith brother. So I added it in at the end and destroyed the Clyde Slide.

Even though it is hot here and the lard was already soft before I ever started, I think I was fooled by false trace. I did slow down and SB more and thought I had medium trace before pouring into the larger pouring container. It did look okay while pouring, but was still probably not thick enough. If I had remembered the pumice before separating out for the colors it might have turned out, but I didn't remember until the end. So I had to mix it in after the pour.

I want to do one more try but I'm just not sure I'll have the time. The odor of lard soap makes my DIY feel sick (I don't like it either) so I'd have to buy some cocoa butter sticks at Walgreens to use with the olive oil and CO I already have. I'll think about today. It might just be time to let it go.

Guspuppy, that is absolutely gorgeous!! Oh my gosh. Totally jealous. I want that soap. What FO did you use. (It's probably posted above and I've forgotten already. Gotta go back and re-read your post about making it.) I think you've discovered the key. Thick(er) soap batter.

Thanks Teresa! I divided my one-lb batter into 6 colors and would have poured each one at least twice, except that the batter got too thick while I messed around in the other room. So only pour per color, and somehow some colors were thicker (the blue, mainly) than others, which did not make sense as I added the FO before even the lye water so it was all the same. The FO was Apple from Nurture, it was a freebie tester they sent me which I had never used before. It did not accelerate trace AT ALL, but it did turn my batter a light brown when the lye water was added. (which also had sugar in it so I wonder if the two together had excess sugar?) It was definitely ploppy, but at least the red/green and purple/yellow parts feathered. :mrgreen:

1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.

2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!

3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)

4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!

5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month

6. LisaAnne, fun!

7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!

8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!

9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?

10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying

11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.

12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right

13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully

14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!

16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!

17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!

18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!

19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.

20. KristaY - I'm excited to give this one a go!

21. Judiraz- Haven't done a Slide in awhile.

22. Saponista - I am really bad at this, but I will give it another shot!

23. Rusti - I'm old enough to play now, right? I think I can do this one!

24. Niclycha. ..I should definitely be able to do this one.

25. Rowan - Can't wait to give this a go.

26. Artemis - Lye: check. Oils: check. Distilled water: check. Colors: check. We are go for soap.

27. Steve85569 - Looks like I might have time for an attempt before the blackberries hit. Train wreck in progress!!

28. Stacyspy - What could possibly go wrong?

29. doriettefarm - Better late than never, right?

I'm getting really irritated with myself. I've made 4 attempts and not one has any feathering. They look fine just not the Clyde Slide needed for this challenge. I realized part of my problem is not dividing off enough batter for the colors. Sigh.... hopefully I can get in some soaping tomorrow....

The entries so far are terrific! You guys have done a great job and Clyde would be proud!

OK, third time is the charm! I am extremely pleased with last nights soap. There is some (minimal) feathering in it. The thing I like about it is the colors are distinct from one another. AND I got butterflies!! Yay, me. I'll post the pics later today. I've got to take pics of my first two attempts. I really love the way they turned out; however, they're not what the challenge is looking for.

Krista, my first two attempts I used a thin trace and poured three colors four times each. They blended together too much. This time around I only used two colors and poured once each. (I colored the main batch with TD because my FO discolored.) I also poured thick. That made a huge difference. I separated at emulsification to mix the colors, but let them thicken to a medium trace before I started pouring. By the time I got it into the mold, it was really thick, but I was able to control it better that way. By the time I got the top decorated, it was plop and drop. I don't know how thick/thin you are pouring your batter, but I thought I'd pass along this info since you're having trouble. I didn't have any feathering at all in my first two (they look like the eyes of hurricanes, actually). This one is a huge improvement. I'll give it one more try if I have time today, but I'm going to post this.

Back