SMF August 2023 Challenge: SHAPES!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just ordered some stuff for the challenge so I'm a little excited to get it. Hoping it gets here in time for next Friday. It usually takes one week to get it. I also ordered a few new FOs to try that seemed to have good reviews.šŸ˜Š Hope everyone is having fun planning out their soap for this month's challenge. I finally thought of something fun to try!

How is everyone coming along with entries and ideas? I hope to make a sample soap when we return from vacation in the next few days. Meanwhile, I just watched this wonderful video by Holly's Soapmaking (formerly Kapia Mera). Her soap has two shapes (triangles and the feather) that qualify it for entry in this month's Challenge:

How is everyone coming along with entries and ideas? I hope to make a sample soap when we return from vacation in the next few days. Meanwhile, I just watched this wonderful video by Holly's Soapmaking (formerly Kapia Mera). Her soap has two shapes (triangles and the feather) that qualify it for entry in this month's Challenge:

She is amazing for sure!

I love Hollyā€™s videos. That feather is beautiful. She has another video with a multicolored feather. šŸ˜

No shape molds in my inventory. But, funny how idea's. Come about over coffee and a piece of cheese cake.
Should we expect cheesecake wedge shapes in your soap, @Ford? Maybe with Cinnabon fragrance for one of the dark wedges? šŸ˜‰

P.S. I was blown away by Fordā€™s skills as a soap maker (quality) and designer (artistic skill)!!!

Last edited:
Sign-up List for SMF August 2023 Challenge: SHAPES. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next sign-up:
1. Ford....
2. glendam
3. Georgeandstella I'm in :)
4. 2lilboots
5. ScentimentallyYours
6. McKherring Farm
7. klaw2
8. CLMP-this will be interesting šŸ„°.
9. Tammyfarms - looking forward to the fun.
10. dmcgee5034 - I am finally feeling shapely for this challenge šŸŒø

I love watching Holly too I really love the music she uses it's so relaxing and ā˜®ļø peaceful. So I'm going to be really busy this week making embeds for the challenge I only have one mold for the shape I'm choosing and I need 7 of them for my design. So That means I need to make a small batch of soap every night this week till I have them ready for next weekend to make my soap. So today I'm going to weigh and pour out my oils for the week In 7 different little containers and mix my TD ahead of time to make it a little easier for me. I hope everyone is having a soapy old time lol. šŸ˜‰

@CLMP it's ok to make the embeds out of M&P base, if you prefer. It's just the main part of the soap that must be CP or HP. :)
Thank you I've never tried M/P but I'm sure I could figure it out for future soaps. I don't think I have enough time to order M/P stuff. But that is a great idea for this sort of thing for next time I will have to look into this! Thanks so much!

Thank you I've never tried M/P but I'm sure I could figure it out for future soaps. I don't think I have enough time to order M/P stuff. But that is a great idea for this sort of thing for next time I will have to look into this! Thanks so much!
One thing you can do with melt and pour embeds is create a translucent embed in the CP soap. Just a thought. I did it with my over the rainbow soaps, creating the bluebirds and stars in melt and pour.

Sign-up List for SMF August 2023 Challenge: SHAPES. To sign up, please copy and paste these instructions and the list below into a new message. Then add your name and the next number for the next sign-up:
1. Ford....
2. glendam
3. Georgeandstella I'm in :)
4. 2lilboots
5. ScentimentallyYours
6. McKherring Farm
7. klaw2
8. CLMP-this will be interesting šŸ„°.
9. Tammyfarms - looking forward to the fun.
10. dmcgee5034 - I am finally feeling shapely for this challenge šŸŒø
11. The_Emerald_Chicken

One thing you can do with melt and pour embeds is create a translucent embed in the CP soap. Just a thought. I did it with my over the rainbow soaps, creating the bluebirds and stars in melt and pour.
Oh wow that's a great idea that would really look so cool. I will definitely keep this in mind Thank-you

Well I've been busy making embeds for the past couple of days for the challenge I've made 3 shapes so far and need to make 4 to 5 more plus I made some other embeds for future projects. But there is just one problem, I'm realizing it's harder for me to make a small 1/2 Pound batch then a big batch because the batter just barely covers the stick blender and my tiny batch is getting tons of air bubbles and I'm trying to squish and bang all the air bubbles out with my spoon. I've managed to get most of the air bubbles out but it's lots of work and really annoying lol. šŸ˜„šŸ„± Hope everyone is enjoying them selves.

Well I've been busy making embeds for the past couple of days for the challenge I've made 3 shapes so far and need to make 4 to 5 more plus I made some other embeds for future projects. But there is just one problem, I'm realizing it's harder for me to make a small 1/2 Pound batch then a big batch because the batter just barely covers the stick blender and my tiny batch is getting tons of air bubbles and I'm trying to squish and bang all the air bubbles out with my spoon. I've managed to get most of the air bubbles out but it's lots of work and really annoying lol. šŸ˜„šŸ„± Hope everyone is enjoying them selves.
Yes, that is a challenge for the smaller batches, which is why I like the shape buckets I use, more narrow and bit tall. I don't worry so much about air bubbles while I SB (my olive oil recipes don't make a lot of bubbles), instead I do the counter tap a few times after I pour into the molds. The loaf molds are easier to tap, the cavity molds are on baking sheets but they don't like being bounced around šŸ˜„ so sometimes I take the time the pour over a spoon turned upside down (round side up). But, in the end, my soaps are for me so the air bubbles don't bother me šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø

Oh Man alive I put my shape mold in the oven last night on 170Ā°F and forgot to turn the oven off and accidentally fell a sleep so the oven was on all night and my shape over heated hopefully when I unmold it today it will be all right if not I will have to redo it lol. Shoot!šŸ„“
Uh oh . . .

Back