Slushy coconut oil 76

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godschild

Reaction score
I bought 2 8 lb pails of coconut oil 76 and they melted a bit and became slushy while waiting for me to finish using up my other coconut oil that I already had before I ordered them. Since they were mostly melted, will that affect my soap like palm oil does when the stearins go to the bottom of the container or can I just dip it out with a cup as is with no stirring, separating, weighing it all out, and repackaging in smaller containers and all be well? I also need to know this for when I order my 50 lb pail from SC because it will prob melt too. They were all nice and solid when they were delivered and I freaked when I opened them to see it all melted later.

I bought 2 8 lb pails of coconut oil 76 and they melted a bit and became slushy while waiting for me to finish using up my other coconut oil that I already had before I ordered them. Since they were mostly melted, will that affect my soap like palm oil does when the stearins go to the bottom of the container or can I just dip it out with a cup as is with no stirring, separating, weighing it all out, and repackaging in smaller containers and all be well? I also need to know this for when I order my 50 lb pail from SC because it will prob melt too. They were all nice and solid when they were delivered and I freaked when I opened them to see it all melted later.
No, I have never had a problem with mushy coconut oil. Mine always melts completely in the summer and I hate it. Coconut does not have quite as much stearic as palm and very little palmitic. I buy mine in 5 gallon pails (35lbs) it is such a pain in the backside to have that much liquid oil in a bucket

I buy 50lbs worth of coconut 76 at a time, which comes delivered in one of those large, sturdy, plastic buckets which I then break down into smaller quantities for easier handling. Depending on the time of year, it is either solid, semi-solid (slushy) or liquid. When slushy, I just give it a good stir before transferring to a smaller bucket, or when weighing out for a batch.

IrishLass :)

I too purchase my coconut in 50lb metal drum. I keep it in my husbands man cave and it has a tendency to get pretty warm in their or really cold. So, sometimes it's solid and sometimes it's liquid or slushy. I kind of like it when it's slushy then I can just mix it up a bit and put it in a smaller container for ease of use. Still works fine!

Ive never had a problem with it..I actually prefer it to be melted because its easier to measure out.. :)

Back