Silk Fibers in 50% Lye Solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakingNana

Reaction score
I'm having trouble dissolving silk fibers in the lye/water solution when I use my 50% premade solution. I don't think it gets hot enough to dissolve it. I know some of you dissolve silk in the 50% solution itself when you make it. How much silk do you put in? I can't figure it out since I used a little pinch PPO before. My brain is tired.

I eyeball out about half of a cottonball size of tussa silk fiber for every batch of soap (I make 2.5 lbs. batches).

When I make up my 50% solution, I have it figured out how many batches my amount of pre-mixed solution will make, so all I have to do is pull off enough half cottonball-sized balls of silk from my huge wad of silk fibers accordingly.

When I have enough silk pulled off, I stretch out the fibers until they are nothing but wispy cobwebs and add them to my water (no lye yet), making sure they get good and drenched. Then I let the water/silk sit for about 5 or 10 minutes before adding my lye.

My lye water gets very hot and the fibers dissolve pretty well. It's not a 100% full incorporation, mind you (it's more like 98% or so), but when it's all cooled off I strain the solution as I pour it into my storage container, and it's clear as a bell from thereon out.

IrishLass :)

I just did a batch with equal amoutns lye and water, and added salt and sugar. Its now a paste. Not what I'd intended!
edited to add, salt and sugar first, lye after.

Latest posts

Back