Silicone muffin pan as a soap mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder

Reaction score
Hi again everyone.

I'm nearly ready to try to mix up my first batch of soap, but I just wanted to ask you experts about using silicone baking pans as soap molds.

It seems like they should work okay, I think.

They can handle baking temps and since soap won't adhere to silicone, they require no grease or wax paper to help release the soap from the mold.

I bought a cheap silicone muffin pan because I thought it would be easier to just pour half a dozen nice little handy sized circular discs of soap rather than pouring the soap batter into a rectangular silicone bread pan, then having to slice the bars later on. (hope I don't sound too lazy, only trying to be practical)

Anyone here ever tried silicone molds?

Yes, I use them all the time. I have 3 loaf style silicone pans, they work really really well. I also have teddy bears, love hearts and rosettes.
I don't have the muffin style ones, but am going to get some, I agree that the disc shape and size feels nice in the hand.
I don't see any reason why you can't use them, and you are right, they make unmoulding easy peasy!!

I totally love the silicone pans. They work great and are convenient. If you don't have a problem with the muffin sized soap, by all means, use these pans!

molds

www.kitchencollection.com has reasonable prices and the rose muffin pans make WONDERFUL soaps. item # 176105. they also have regular muffin pans (for salt bars) and mini-bite muffin pans (for guest soaps). i wish they would carry the sunflowers molds!

the blue muffin molds do not transfer color. i dont know about the rest.

Re: molds

heartsong said:
www.kitchencollection.com has reasonable prices and the rose muffin pans make WONDERFUL soaps. item # 176105. they also have regular muffin pans (for salt bars) and mini-bite muffin pans (for guest soaps). i wish they would carry the sunflowers molds!

the blue muffin molds do not transfer color. i dont know about the rest.

Great site! They have some nice prices on all kinds of things! Thanks :D

ilovedoxies said:
welder said:
I bought a cheap silicone muffin pan...

I want to know where you found a cheap silicone muffin pan :shock: . The one's I've seen are not cheap. I'd love to try it.

B

Well, I'm actually writing this from Vancouver, Canada.

I found my silicone muffin pan at Great Canadian Superstore, so I don't think you'll want to drive up to Canada just to buy silicone baking stuff.

However, I like the stuff on the other American kitchen supply site too(www.kitchencollection.com).

Thanks to everyone who replied. Experienced input helps reassure...

I bought a wilton brand silicone mold from walmart on clearance, 6 football shaped cavaties for $4.50. Thought it would be a good size for soap. It was a pumpkiny-rust color. Used it for a batch of soap and they came out with an orange tint to them.

Silicone

Yes ,yes,yes,
They are the most wonderful molds.
Look at this butterfly one.I picked up only 4 of them and pour some nearly with every batch I fo .They are about 16 x 10 cm.
URL=http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?image=butterflyspbhq4.jpg]
butterflyspbhq4.th.jpg
[/URL]
Thats some of spellbound cupcake leftovers.You can see the crushed rose petals in it.
I have learnt that to get a better definition I need to freeze it before demolding but sometimes I am too impatient.
More ,of course I want more.
I have so many all ready of different styles, so I am trying to be a little bit sane about this and buy a few groceries as well as soaping stuff. Eating a lot more from my garden so I can get the soaping goodies. People are buying the Butterflies for gifts.

You are going to adore your soaping life.
Bubble on

Re: Silicone

starduster said:
People are buying the Butterflies for gifts.

Bubble on

I can see why! THEY'RE GORGEOUS!!!

Yes, I'm sure I'll have fun soaping.

To be honest, I'm starting a soap company in Africa with my sister-in-law, so all my soaping is really just R&D for the African recipes.

I have a feeling that I'll wind up getting hooked on hobby soapmaking too though...

mamaT said:
I bought a wilton brand silicone mold from walmart on clearance, 6 football shaped cavaties for $4.50. Thought it would be a good size for soap. It was a pumpkiny-rust color. Used it for a batch of soap and they came out with an orange tint to them.

the same thing happens with the red silicone, but I haven't had one problem with the blue kind. :)

Re: Silicone

welder said:
starduster said:
People are buying the Butterflies for gifts.

Bubble on

I can see why! THEY'RE GORGEOUS!!!

Yes, I'm sure I'll have fun soaping.

To be honest, I'm starting a soap company in Africa with my sister-in-law, so all my soaping is really just R&D for the African recipes.

I have a feeling that I'll wind up getting hooked on hobby soapmaking too though...

I really do hope you canit it keep a bucketfull of fun in the soap buisness .

Mine are all blue, bar the loaf ones and they are grey, I have never had a problem with the colour coming off on the soap.
Maybe giving them a good wash before use might help, take off any excess colour that is sitting on the surface?

Latest posts

Back