Show - No show

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagiaDellaLuna

Reaction score
Well for what it's worth we had a table at a large Show/Expo for the four days over the Easter weekend.

Lesson learned ~ do not waste time, effort or money at anything other than Craft shows or Holistic Fayres. Visitors to general expo's do not "get it" ( at least not in South Africa ) and it takes too long to try and convince them about the benefits of using handcrafted soap as opposed to commercial soap when they are in a hurry to take in all the other items on show or rush off to the rides at the Fun Fair.

Luckily we just about covered the cost of the table.

I agree. I only do handmade/craft shows where people are there for the sole purpose of buying handmade items. If it's a festival, a family fun night, a county fair, etc, that is not why people are there. They will spend their money on hotdogs, cotton candy, rides & petting zoos... not soap.

Your soap is very pretty. I like the stamp in the purplish one on the top and the shape is cool. Too bad things did not sell.

Tabitha, I cringed every time a little child with "cotton candy fingers" reached out to touch one of the scarves, but dared not say anything. I am definitely much more relaxed at my regular monthly Craft Fair :)

ToniD, Thanks. The stamp is on all the soap, but did not photograph well in that light. We sold enough to almost cover cost, but on the upside I now have more than enough stock for my regular market :)

I love your display. Your soap looks amazing.

Thanks, craftgirl and Deda.

I have found that at my regular market a simple display works best to attract attention. The customers also seem to prefer seeing "naked" soap from which they can select. I then package the soap for them. There seems to be this perception with pre-packaged soap that they think they are not getting exactly the same soap in the package as the sample on display.

Over the years I have tried many different displays and this one works best for me at interactive markets :)

At my regular market I would also have Lip Balms, Face Cream and Facial Serum, but those did not seem appropriate for this show.

Magia - that is beautiful! I would have bought soap, for sure (even though I always have more than enough of my own).....your soaps are gorgeous. And the scarves are something I wouldn't resist either. What are the cats? Do you also tole paint? I love those.

I don't understand the crowd there....obviously they have no taste, LOL

However, to make you feel better maybe, I also have always found that summer fairs are not good for me. I sell most in the fall, when people are looking for Christmas gifts. Soap makes great stocking stuffers, everyone tells me.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy it though.....I hope you don't allow this to discourage you. Just pick markets closer to Xmas, or Mother's Day.

Thanks, Woodi.

I try not ever to regret anything, rather to learn from it.

We are moving into Autumn here in the southern hemisphere so the scarves will sell well at my regular monthly market. They really are warm and soft and also wash well.

The cats are door stops which were painted by my gorgeous daughter. There are better pics here :-

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... 9f3c523292

We did enjoy the show. It is always fun watching people ;)

Latest posts

Back