Shaving Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of the major benefits to making my own soap is that I can make a shaving soap far superior to anything I can find in the drug store. I love to compare notes on what contributes to a great shaving soap.

Here's one of my shaving blends:
30% Coconut oil
30% Palm oil
10% Apricot kernal oil
10% Avocado oil
8% Castor oil
7% Cocoa butter
5% Bees wax

I almost always add castor oil to my bars as it is the only oil with ricinoleic acid, a fatty acid that is conditioning to the skin and contributes to a fluffy, stable lather.

A percentage of almond, sunflower, grape seed or olive oil can be swapped in for some or all of the apricot kernal and avocado. I always apply a 7-9% discount to the lye to ensure my soaps have plenty of unsaponified oils in them.

I almost always add a bit of clay to my shaving soaps. Any type of cosmetic grade clay will work: Kaolin, red Morrocan clay, Dead Sea clay, or green French clay. I add about two tablespoons per 4 pound batch (based on the total weight of the oils).

As for scents, I find many guys steer clear of floral scents, but here are two combos that are popular with my male friends:
- Cedar and Lemongrass. Great spectrum of base to top notes. The lemongrass scent is very uplifting.
- Ginger and Cinnamon. Rich and pleasantly spicy.

I just purchased some tussah silk and want to add that to my shaving bars. I'll let you know how that turns out.

With my shaving soaps for men I use Clove Powder, Cinnamon Powder, Allspice Powder, Ground Bay Leaf and Ground Mint. For the ladies I use ground lavender and mint.

Of course I also use clay, castor oil, & Sweet Almond Oil.............

Cheers
Lindy

Jaaret said:
One of the major benefits to making my own soap is that I can make a shaving soap far superior to anything I can find in the drug store.

Wow Jaaret, is that ever cool!

I've never heard of anyone ever making custom crafted shaving soap before.

My father passed in an industrial accident while I was still just a boy, but I remember that he used to use a little disc of white soap in the bottom of a cup meant for that type of shaving soap. The cup had a matching brush that had bristles long enough to reach the soap disc in the bottom.

Do you use your shaving soap with a cup & brush like that or do you just lather up by hand?

If you do have a cup & brush, do you know where I can buy one like that? (I haven't seen one in years)

Thanks.

Jaaret, I think you will find that the silk adds extra slip to the shaving soap recipe. I have used silk for a few years now in everything, as well as goats milk.

Here is a few pics of my shaving set I sell. They sell great. I have a few loyal male customers who bring their wood bowls back for me to refill. This is scented with Hawaiian Sandalwood;

DSCF4030.jpg

DSCF4027.jpg

DSCF4031.jpg

Paul

Geez Paul, that's a classy shaving set you have.

How much do you sell them for?

welder said:
Geez Paul, that's a classy shaving set you have.

How much do you sell them for?

That set with the soap sells for $12.95. The wood is really nice and the brush is boar, not synthetic.

Paul

welder said:
Do you use your shaving soap with a cup & brush like that or do you just lather up by hand?

If you do have a cup & brush, do you know where I can buy one like that? (I haven't seen one in years)

I have traditionally just applied the soap by rubbing the bar directly onto my wet face. However, after doing a little online research I'm going to go back to using a brush. I just ordered a badger brush on Ebay.

As for the cup, I think you can pour soap at trace directly into the bottom of a clean mug and, after it cures, use that for shaving.

Soapmaker Man, your wood shaving bowls are beautiful and classy!

Jaaret said:
Soapmaker Man, your wood shaving bowls are beautiful and classy!

That's true, they're really quite nice.

I think they'd be at home in any bathroom decore as well. They'd look good in a modern contemporary setting as well as a traditional Victorian home too.

ok im confused, when using a wood bowl like that does the soap come inside of it or does it get put in with water at time of shaving?? explain! lol thanks

IanT said:
ok im confused, when using a wood bowl like that does the soap come inside of it or does it get put in with water at time of shaving?? explain! lol thanks

Ian, I pour my shaving soap batter in the bowls directly when new. I sell replacement shaving soaps that are made in a 3" PVC tube, cut 3/4" thick. Those fill the wooden bowls nicely.

Paul

I have been "wetshaving", that is with mug and brush, for about a year now.

I want to make my own soaps. Right now I'm using a glycerine soap, melted in a double boiler. I add some,about a tsp, of bentonite clay to this. It makes a very thick and slippery lather.

That is why I'm here to learn more. If I may ask a question here, I want to add scents to my soap. What I want to do is match up the soap to the aftershave I'll be using. I think that way they will complement each other. One thing though most aftershaves are alcohol based. Would that have a drying effect in the soap?

Thanks,
Ken.

OK, it took some hunting on the net, but I found the password for the wholesale part. OK, ready?

"And the secret password is relax"

There you have it. Just type that into the password area, and have fun.

You all owe me one! :lol:

Paul

Latest posts

Back