Sharing recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much to all of you who have been so understanding. I was pretty upset after I saw some of the responses. I have looked for the advanced search and have not found it yet. I have also gone back about 10 pages, I'm assuming they meant in the beginner section, and I have not found recipes. I put "soap recipes" in the search section & all I've gotten are the threads from my question. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. For those of you who gave me suggestions for soap I will give them a try. The egg yolk recipe sounds good but I have a question. The recipe calls for milk. Is that milk you can get from the grocery store or do they mean raw milk from a farm which is not easily accessible in our area? If I can use milk from store I'm assuming I need to use whole milk. Again thanks to those who were so understanding to a rather newbie.

Grocery store milk will suffice. You do NOT have to kill yourself trying to find raw milk and if anyone asks you for a soap made with raw milk, simply tell them to supply you with the goods. To be honest, I'd love to try raw milk just once.

Thanks so much to all of you who have been so understanding. I was pretty upset after I saw some of the responses. I have looked for the advanced search and have not found it yet. I have also gone back about 10 pages, I'm assuming they meant in the beginner section, and I have not found recipes. I put "soap recipes" in the search section & all I've gotten are the threads from my question. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. For those of you who gave me suggestions for soap I will give them a try. The egg yolk recipe sounds good but I have a question. The recipe calls for milk. Is that milk you can get from the grocery store or do they mean raw milk from a farm which is not easily accessible in our area? If I can use milk from store I'm assuming I need to use whole milk. Again thanks to those who were so understanding to a rather newbie.

The trouble with using 'soap recipes' as the search is that people would have to use either the word 'soap' or 'recipes' in the post. I don't think that would be a very helpful way of searching for what you want. How many times do we use the word 'soap' in our posts? I haven't really looked, but I'm guessing it's pretty darned often!

Here is how to find the advanced search in SMF:
Use the little tiny 'downward arrow', then click on 'advanced search'
How%20to%20find%20advanced%20search.jpg

I don't actually use the advanced search, so that's as far as I can help you with that, though.

The way I search that works a lot better for me than the one here at SMF is to search using Google (or whatever search engine you use). Type in the parameters (words or phrase you want to find) followed by: 'site:soapmakingforum.com' without the quotes. This will pull up results only in SMF, but with greater accuracy for what you have typed into Google.

Here are some examples of search parameters to use:

basic soapmaking recipes site:soapmakingforum.com
basic CP soapmaking recipes site:soapmakingforum.com
easy CP recipe site:soapmakingforum.com
easy CP recipe with lard site:soapmakingforum.com

See how that works? The parameters are the words you use in the first part of the search. The words you use will narrow or widen your search. The more specific your wording, the fewer results, but you may actually find something you really want without all the excess you don't want to wade through.

~ ~ ~ ~

As far as your questions about milk in soap, any milk will do. I have used whole milk (from the grocery store), buttermilk (but I prefer to drink it whenever I buy it, so it often only makes it into soap if I freeze it right before going on a roadtrip because I don't have time to drink it all before I leave, then I can use it in soap when I return), canned goat milk soap, heavy cream (from the grocery store), Crema Mexicana (sour cream), yogurt; all from the grocery store. Some people use powdered milk from the healthfood store. I have not yet tried it in powdered form.

But as pointed out earlier, perhaps it is best to leave it to after you have done a few simpler recipes and are comfortable with those. For some reason I thought you may have done several already. When you are ready for the more complex, just ask, I am sure any number of people here will be willing to walk you through some of these 'advanced' techniques. Personally I don't consider milk or egg yolks as 'advanced' because I still consider myself fairly new to soap making. I've only been making soap for a year now. But I do like to make soap so much that I do it several times a week when I am at home, and even sometimes when I travel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

I will give Susie's a try. It sounded pretty easy. I've been exploring how to render tallow & that doesn't look so bad. There are several videos on youtube that made it look rather easy. I've read that soap with tallow is also nice. However I do have some lard I need to use up first. Thanks all!

ppo = per pound of oil

1 pound = 453.592 grams, so I am guessing as a short cut to having to figure out the exact amount needed in 500 grams, they are rounding up. I would just use a converter to figure out the exact amount needed.

It doesn't matter what type of oil, it's just xx/ppo no matter what type of oil.

This type of measurement in a recipe can be in any kind of recipe, really. I see it in CP as well as HP.

Last edited:
What does PPO/500 gram oil mean in Susie's recipe? What does the sugar do & when do you add it? What tpe of oil? What does the PPO mean? Is that a hot processed soap?

PPO means Per Pound of Oils, not hot processed soap (hp), as stated above. You add up your oil weight and multiply it by 7 grams. I happen to use 1 tbs ppo of oil, sugar being the only ingredient I use by volume not weight. Susie listed all the oils used and sugar adds bubbles. 500 grams of oil would = 17 oz, so 17 oz of oils would be 7.4 grams or rounded up to 8 g sugar

wbocrafter, I add the sugar water solution to the lye water solution, but some soapers add it to the melted oils or even add it later at trace. I think I've tried it all ways, but prefer doing it at the start so I don't forget it later.
Is Susie's recipe for HP, is that what you are asking? She would have to verify, but I believe Susie uses that recipe as CP. Even so, pretty much any recipe can be done as CP or as HP. But this time of year, in the summer, I would just do CP because not so much heat to deal with in the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
The trouble with using 'soap recipes' as the search is that people would have to use either the word 'soap' or 'recipes' in the post. I don't think that would be a very helpful way of searching for what you want. How many times do we use the word 'soap' in our posts? I haven't really looked, but I'm guessing it's pretty darned often!

Here is how to find the advanced search in SMF:
Use the little tiny 'downward arrow', then click on 'advanced search'
How%20to%20find%20advanced%20search.jpg

I don't actually use the advanced search, so that's as far as I can help you with that, though.

[Bolding/underlining on the last sentence above is mine]. This is where a lot of our members miss out when it comes to being able to search more efficiently on the forum. The Advanced Search gives you more options to be able to refine your search in a more narrow/specific manner.

Once you've clicked on 'Advance Search' as Earlene described above (thank you Earleane- that was perfect! :) ), it will bring you to the Advance Search page where you can search by keyword/s and/or by username (either or both), and you can refine your search even further by clicking on the button right below the Keyword box which gives you the option of searching just thread titles only, or else searching entire posts. You can also refine your search even further by using the date parameters, or you can search by tag, and you have the option choosing which section of the forum you'd like to confine your search parameters to, or whether you want direct your search to all forums on the site.

More often than not, I like to use the "search titles only" option. That hardly ever fails to give me what I want quickly.

For anyone who wants to enter into recipe nirvana, this is what you need to do........ On the Advanced Search page in the "keyword" box, type the single word 'recipe'. Don't make the mistake of typing in 'soap recipe'- just simply type the word 'recipe' instead. Typing too many words in that box can oftentimes be your downfall.

Then, underneath the keyword box you will find a drop-down box which gives you the option of refining your search by either searching titles only, or by searching entire posts. Click on "Search titles only".

Next, further down near the bottom left side of the page, you'll see "Show Results as". Click on the Threads option.

Then over to the right, click on which forum section you'd like your search to be directed. I would click on either the Beginners Soapmaking Forum or the Lye Based Forum (Lye Based will give you a ton more results, btw).

Lastly, click on "Search Now".

I'm telling ya, once you've done all of the above, you will be amazed with the amount of recipes facing you. Like I said in my earlier post on this thread, you will see more recipes than you can shake a stick at. LOL

IrishLass :)

Great info! I didn't even know the advanced option was there. I never noticed the drop down before. :?

[Bolding/underlining on the last sentence above is mine]. This is where a lot of our members miss out when it comes to being able to search more efficiently on the forum. The Advanced Search gives you more options to be able to refine your search in a more narrow/specific manner.

Once you've clicked on 'Advance Search' as Earlene described above (thank you Earleane- that was perfect! :) ), it will bring you to the Advance Search page where you can search by keyword/s and/or by username (either or both), and you can refine your search even further by clicking on the button right below the Keyword box which gives you the option of searching just thread titles only, or else searching entire posts. You can also refine your search even further by using the date parameters, or you can search by tag, and you have the option choosing which section of the forum you'd like to confine your search parameters to, or whether you want direct your search to all forums on the site.

More often than not, I like to use the "search titles only" option. That hardly ever fails to give me what I want quickly.

For anyone who wants to enter into recipe nirvana, this is what you need to do........ On the Advanced Search page in the "keyword" box, type the single word 'recipe'. Don't make the mistake of typing in 'soap recipe'- just simply type the word 'recipe' instead. Typing too many words in that box can oftentimes be your downfall.

Then, underneath the keyword box you will find a drop-down box which gives you the option of refining your search by either searching titles only, or by searching entire posts. Click on "Search titles only".

Next, further down near the bottom left side of the page, you'll see "Show Results as". Click on the Threads option.

Then over to the right, click on which forum section you'd like your search to be directed. I would click on either the Beginners Soapmaking Forum or the Lye Based Forum (Lye Based will give you a ton more results, btw).

Lastly, click on "Search Now".

I'm telling ya, once you've done all of the above, you will be amazed with the amount of recipes facing you. Like I said in my earlier post on this thread, you will see more recipes than you can shake a stick at. LOL

IrishLass :)

Now I'm embarrassed. I've never found the advanced search before:oops:. I tried it out and it came up with so many threads:cool: thankyou!

You have blueberries already?? Maybe I was in Alaska too long - should I be on the prowl? I did harvest morels early this year :)

Next door neighbor has berries running about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. I do can much to the ridicule of my DW ( she freezes everything) but then I grew up canning with both grandmas.:)

I am also surprised at the pushback on this thread! I didn't see your question as offensive at all - many many people come here looking for a good, tried-and-true recipe as a starting point.

I didn't post a recipe b/c I wasn't sure what type of soap you want to make. It would be helpful if you narrowed it down a bit - do you want to make an all veg recipe, or are you okay with animal fats? Are you willing to order online, or do you want to get stuff from Wal-Mart?

Here's mine:
50% lard
20% coconut
5% castor
5% sunflower
10% olive
10% rice bran

Response to what I'm looking for

Thank you for your recipe. Where can I get rice bran and can I substitute tallow for the lard? We have a local butcher who will give me the suet free so that I can make my own tallow. I was tickled when I heard that it was free and that I could have as much as I wanted. I had contacted another butcher and he was charging me $1/lb. which isn't bad but free is better.

I am willing to purchase items from the internet rather than Wal-Mart. I have purchased from Wal-Mart & frankly I find the same items on the internet much cheaper. I know I should have been more explicit in what I was looking for. I was looking for a good soap that has nice lather & makes the skin feel soft/silky and not drying. I'm still learning what oils are good to use for certain qualities but the above is actually what I was looking for. I will certainly try your recipe. I have learned a lot on this forum already. Some of it is confusing but a lot of it is helpful.

I too was shocked at how controversial my question was. I have taken some of their recommendations to look for recipes on the forum and maybe I'm stupid but I haven't found any recipes yet. I'll just have to keep looking. Thanks for your response. I appreciate the recipe.

Last edited:
This Brambleberry's beginning soapmaking kit, and they're having a deal where it ships free.
https://www.brambleberry.com/Natural-Soap-Kit-for-Beginners-P6607.aspx?utm_source=Bramble+Berry+Newsletter&utm_campaign=9fb5b510bf-jun%2B17%2B2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4130d6c9f1-9fb5b510bf-296258133&mc_cid=9fb5b510bf&mc_eid=bccc84a0c0

» Your choice of one of our three best-selling essential oils (Orange, Lavender or Lemongrass)
» Natural Colorant
» Natural Botanical
» Reusable Silicone Mold
» Digital Scale
» Goggles & Disposable Gloves
» Sodium Lactate
» Blend of Oils
» Sodium Hydroxide
» Instructions and Custom Bar Soap Labels
» Exclusive Online video
» FREE SHIPPING!

Thank you for your recipe. Where can I get rice bran and can I substitute tallow for the lard? We have a local butcher who will give me the suet free so that I can make my own tallow. I was tickled when I heard that it was free and that I could have as much as I wanted. I had contacted another butcher and he was charging me $1/lb. which isn't bad but free is better.

Yay free suet! There is a really good thread here about rendering suet:
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=487085&postcount=36
Get them to grind it for you - makes a HUGE difference! You can substitute tallow - just run it through the lye calculator.

Rice bran oil - possibly an Asian grocery? I got mine from Soaper's Choice. I don't think it's crucial - I use it as a substitute for some of the olive oil b/c it's cheaper. You could replace it with olive oil or sunflower.

I am willing to purchase items from the internet rather than Wal-Mart. I have purchased from Wal-Mart & frankly I find the same items on the internet much cheaper. I know I should have been more explicit in what I was looking for. I was looking for a good soap that has nice lather & makes the skin feel soft/silky and not drying. I'm still learning what oils are good to use for certain qualities but the above is actually what I was looking for. I will certainly try your recipe. I have learned a lot on this forum already. Some of it is confusing but a lot of it is helpful.

I too was shocked at how controversial my question was. I have taken some of their recommendations to look for recipes on the forum and maybe I'm stupid but I haven't found any recipes yet. I'll just have to keep looking. Thanks for your response. I appreciate the recipe.

Recipes are all over but they tend to be buried in threads. It's not an easy topic to search unless you are more specific. I think if you search for "shea butter soap" you will find some recipes, for example.

Soaper's Choice is located in IL - shipping shouldn't be too bad for PA. They carry a lot of soaping oils at a great price.

DixieDragon I ordered the beginner set from Brambleberry that you told me about. It seemed like a really good deal. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back