Shampoo bar users!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eleraine

Reaction score
Okies...short of being nutters, I'd like to try making shampoo bars BUT I want to use shampoo bars first before I embark on this project. Just to find out what I like or don't like.

For users on shampoo bars, am looking for recommendations - favourite sellers, favourite bar type, etc - that don't cost an arm or leg.

Am in France so shipping is always an issue for me.

TIA!

ps: I have long hair - I know, I know. :)

Try Chagrin Valley soaps. They sell a variety of shampoo bars and you can get small sample sizes (like what you'd get in a hotel) if you want to try a few. That would cut down on shipping weight too. I don't know if they ship overseas or not.

CP shampoo bars didn't work for me but if they work for you, that's great. If you decide to formulate on your own, high castor oil % and jojoba are good ingredients to include. Also follow with an acidic rinse containing vinegar or lemon juice.

Good luck!

I have read that soaps are not good for hairs, because the ph is too alkaline.

Here is a great post about it: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2 ... ampoo.html

Im a fan of this blog, its really informative and helpful. Although she doesnt make (maybe she does but she is more talking about hair and other body products) and dont talk much about soaps.

But maybe you like CP soap as shampoo :)

kerzuke said:
I have read that soaps are not good for hairs, because the ph is too alkaline......

I notice this too however, I find that an ACV rinse after shampooing and before conditioning solves that issue and leaves my hair shiny and bouncy

debbism said:
kerzuke said:
I have read that soaps are not good for hairs, because the ph is too alkaline......

I notice this too however, I find that an ACV rinse after shampooing and before conditioning solves that issue and leaves my hair shiny and bouncy

Same for me. Although since I've started making surfactant based liquid shampoos, I have to say that my hair is happier. I think CP shampoo bars work better on shorter hair, long hair tends to get too tangly with it.

fiddletree said:
......Although since I've started making surfactant based liquid shampoos, I have to say that my hair is happier. I think CP shampoo bars work better on shorter hair, long hair tends to get too tangly with it.

I am going to try syndet bars myself to see the difference. I shy-ed away from them for so long because they were not true soaps (syndet=synthetic) but I was really surprised at the wide range of natural and ecocert surfactants and conditioners available.

I do love my shampoo bars and they are great on virgin hair like my daughters long wavy locks as well as shorter coarse hair but I am finding my long super fine damaged hair doesn't love them quite so much! I am sure this will change once the damaged hair has fully grown out.

you are in the cp forum so I assume you mean soap shampoo bars? not synthetic ones? those never worked for me but syndet bars have worked well, I get mine from Lush and have also tried one from agriffin here on this forum. they work well!

regular soap, even with a vinegar or lemon rinse, never worked well for me.

Back