Selling partially gelled soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FifthCap

Reaction score
I know it's fine to use but customers, how do they feel about it?

I took a mold of oatmeal and lavender goat milk soap out too early and it partially gelled. It's about a week later and it's noticeable.

Does anyone sell partially gelled soap?
Should i rebatch (will the oatmeal be a problem)?

Sometimes, it depends on how it looks. When it comes out looking kinda cool, I leave it and sell it without issue.

When it looks dagy then I reduce the price and sell it as an Odd (what I call less than perfect soap). It still sells, I just make less so I try very, very hard to prevent it. If I know a soap will not heat well and I want a full gel - it gets popped in the oven. If I don't want a gel on a batter I known will heat and possibly overheat, then I soap super cold, freeze my mold, and once it is pour it goes straight to the freezer for a full 24 hours after which it goes into the fridge until I'm sure it won't start heating. By that time it is usually ready to cut.

Partial gel can be a friend or an enemy depending on how it looks with the other design elements.

I never reduce price because of a partial gel, in fact I would lose a lot of money if I did. I happen to have a lot of fo's and recipes I make that I cannot stop gel no matter what I do, and cannot let them full gel because they will volcano and /or seperate. I have never had a customer not take a soap because of a partial gel and many think you meant to do it and wonder how you make the oval in the middle.

These are just plain colored soaps so nothing "cool" to go off lol
Maybe the average Joe thinks nothing of it?

I doubt most even notice it. At the worst, they wonder how you got such a perfect circle/oval in the middle of the soap like that. I have bought hand made soaps with partial gel, and one vendor I saw at a farmer's market last year had nothing but partial gel on GM soaps.

It's not as if it's a fault in the soap. Unless your soap is all about looks then I suppose it is a fault in the soap.

there is a handmade soap store few towns over that sells partially gelled soap with no problem . it comes down to you the seller and the buyer as well . nothing is wrong with the soap, it won't harm the skin.

Latest posts

Back