Seizing soap when EOs added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possum_Magic

Reaction score
Hi,

I've not much experience with seizing batches, so any help appreciated.

The last two bathes I made: I had one globular-like seize and a pudding-like seize. Both were savable, but I wasn't able to do the lovely swirling I had planned because the batter was so thick.

The first batch I waited until oils/lye were 40 degrees celsius. I then mixed until a very light trace, added rose geranium EO and wham-mo, seize city. It kinda went a little chucky too. I gave it a blast with the stick blender and added colorants which seemed to help thin out the mixture. Batch saved.

My next batch, I waited for lye solution/oils to cool to 45 degrees celsius and I mixed until just before trace. I added lavender and a dash of cinnamon EO, and wham-mo again, it all seized to a pudding straight away. I added alkanet infused with oil and titanium dioxide mixed with water. Both thinned the mixture, but I wan't able to do the swirling I wanted to do.

So, any hints about certain Eos and how to avoid these majorly quick traces?

I REALLY love rose geranium oil, and also lavender (I've not had a prob with lavender in the past and am hoping it was the cinnamon leaf oil!).

TIA

Rose anything hates me :(

Possibly because rose geranium and rose absolute are commonly adulterated with geraniol in order to improve their scent and stretch the EOs. It may actually be the geraniol which is the accelerant.

Last edited:
Back