Scenting cp soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
Just a quick question, other then eo's, is there others ways to naturally scent soaps?

Does using honey give a honey smell? Does using goats milk make it smell like goats milk? Etcetera etc

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

True. When I use honey, there is an initial 'Bit 'O Honey'-like candy smell to my soap, but it doesn't last more than a month or so.

IrishLass :)

When using unrefined cocoa butter or shea does that retain it's smell at all? Does extra virgin coconut oil keep it's smell?

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

Neither cocoa butter, shea butter, nor coconut oil retain their scents once saponified and cured.

The only things I have personally found to naturally scent CP soaps are EO's.

The only thing that leaves any scent besides FO and EO for me is beer. However after cure the scent is just slightly like hops, not a really good fragrance, and not all that pleasant to most people.

Lard. I made my first batch of soap with lard and it still (2 mos) smells like lard. If only grapefruit would stick around that well.

Come, come, Obsidian!

Pine tar ~~stinks~~ you aver?

Just because my dear husband smells like the inside of a smoky campfire after taking a shower with his beloved PT soap does not mean he stinketh! :shifty:

I've never tried it, but I certainly took note of a post here last year where someone recommended Sam's Club almond and vanilla flavoring in colloidal oatmeal to scent CP soaps. Check out post #33 on this page: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=386842

I know other people have said flavorings don't work but this post piqued my interest. Your post, holistichonnies, reminded me and renewed my interest. Soaper's mantra: Always worth a try!

Back