Salt soap bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost any salt will do, I buy fine sea salt at the dollar store!

Just don't use dead sea salts or epsom salts. Just regular old salt.

I bought some today at the dollar store but when I gave it a second look it said "sea salt Iodized" I was going for just regular sea salt but I guess I now have to give it a go with the iodized salt. Was thinking of adding the same amount of salt as oil in my recipe (will also SF at 20%). I can let you guys know how it goes. Won't get to it till the weekend though :(

I bought some today at the dollar store but when I gave it a second look it said "sea salt Iodized" I was going for just regular sea salt but I guess I now have to give it a go with the iodized salt. Was thinking of adding the same amount of salt as oil in my recipe (will also SF at 20%). I can let you guys know how it goes. Won't get to it till the weekend though :(

Please do keep us updated! Living here in the land of Iodine, I have to pay almost 4x as much for non-iodine salt!

Have you checked your supermarked for rock salt that goes in grinders? That doesn't contain iodine and perhaps you could grind it up fine in a coffee grinder.

Just an FYI, I only use 25% of oils in salt and that is plenty salty for me. Some people go as high as 100%, most people IME prefer something in between. You may want to start out at something like 50% and see what you think then adjust up or down from there.

I also use 100% coconut oil, sf at 15%, then use coconut milk (with all that extra fat) for my liquid.

Thank you again, IrishLass (her recipe). :)

Just an FYI, I only use 25% of oils in salt and that is plenty salty for me. Some people go as high as 100%, most people IME prefer something in between. You may want to start out at something like 50% and see what you think then adjust up or down from there.

I also use 100% coconut oil, sf at 15%, then use coconut milk (with all that extra fat) for my liquid.

Thank you again, IrishLass (her recipe). :)

I calculated it out to be 75% of oils, I didn't feel 100% salt adventurous. :razz: lol

I heard that salt with iodine can cause issues in the same way that sea salt that is heavy in other minerals can - weeping and so on.

Is it possible to use salt with added iodine? If so, it will save me a lot of time and money as finding non-added iodine is jolly hard here

Like Paillo I have used Regular table salt/or sea salt with iodine many times. It does not make your salt sticky, waxy, weepy and no lather like dead sea salt will. I have made a lot of salt bars over the years and have pretty much tried it all. A little thought of grinding rock salt. Some salts will actually end up with really sharp edges, gray salt being one that is hard to grind, if even a few larger pieces get into the soap they will be really sharp and can cut the skin. Plus the fact if you are making a larger batch grinding 50 or more oz of salt in a coffee grinder is a pesky and time consuming job. A food processor almost always guarantee sharp edges.

Last edited:
I love salt bars and use them almost exclusively for myself. I use the sea salt or regular salt from the grocery store. I make a lot of them. I've never had any weeping, stickiness or ever had them go bad and it gets pretty humid here in the summer. I use between 50-75% salt and superfat between 20-25% with 80% Coconut and 20% other oils.

my experience in using sea salt in a humid climate = weeping. it comes and goes. on very humid days it's sweating like crazy. other days are fine.
i am about to try himalayan salt.

I'm sorry your salt bars didin't work. I've not experienced any weeping with my salt bars. It gets really humid here in the summer and I do a lot of outdoor markets...maybe I've just been luck for the last 3 years. I wrap them in shrink bands so they are exposed somewhat.

i didnt wrap mine at all, just place them on the curing rack. maybe i should wrap them like i do mp. the humidity level here is annoying. almost everything needs to be refrigerated, otherwise...

Its not very humid here which leads me to believe I messed something up. I will try again though, but I probably will use non-iodized salt. I wonder if it feels different on the skin, iodized/non iodized.

Back