Salt Bar emergency

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use any coconut oil, the kind sold at grocery stores is the 76* kind. The others would have to be bough specialty. My favorite salt bars have been 80% coconut and 20% Olive oil with a 20% superfat.
Do you know how to use soapcalc.net? I really recommend learning it and using it for every batch.

Can I use any CO? I believe there are different ones, solid at such and such temps, yes?

yes, any CO will do. i personally like the cheapest :D i believe it is the 76 one. i am lucky that CO is quite common for cooking in my country. it's pretty easy to get in any supermarket.

Seven, my 100% lard salt bar didn't turn out. It was literally a block of plastic as someone had stated! Lol. I assumed i just made an error(which i did!) But the one I made with 100% olive oil, (I believe it was olive), turned out fine, and I use them regularly, as does my boyfriend. But i also didn't use nearly as much salt as recommended. I used maybe a cup, for a 2lb batch, and it still had the characteristics of a salt bar. That's why I assumed you could just use any oil. They didn't have an amazing lather, but it was an okay lather- a little sudsy. I've never actually used CO to make any soap- I've only ever used it in chapsticks. Can I use any CO? I believe there are different ones, solid at such and such temps, yes?

Really? A 100% olive oil salt bar worked? And lathered? How long did you cure it before you used it? Could you please post the whole recipe? Did you use that 2 lbs oil, 4.4 oz lye you mentioned earlier? Soapcalc says that the amount of lye for 32 oz of olive oil would be 4.335 oz, so that recipe IS lye heavy, but I wonder what effect the salt would have on that.

If I say DeeAnna's name three times will she appear? I bet she would know the answer.

Just use the coconut oil you find at the grocery store - as far as I can tell that is always the 76 deg one. Try a simple 80% coconut oil, 20% something else (I love a bit of shea butter in there), 20% superfat and 30-80% of the weight of oils as salt (I really like 80%) - really makes a lovely bar. Be ready to cut it in a few hours!

Last edited:
I too highly recommend 80% CO and 20% something else. I personally like Avocado Oil and Shea. I superfat at 20-25% and they are one of my favorites to use. I generally use 50-60% Salt. I wouldn't like 100% OO with salt as I don't care for 100% OO anyway even with a long cure.

Latest posts

Back