???'s that I have

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deka

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just a few questions I have been wondering about.

1. Is there a difference in total batch weight between a processed HP batch ready to mold vs. a CP batter ready to pour? In other words, during the HP, does some of the water cook out and reduce the volume of the batch?

2. I’ve noticed that some soapers will put their molded soap outside during colder weather for the first 24 hours. To those of you that do this - Were there any special considerations that you took into account when doing this? Did you do this to stop the gel stage? What temperature range would you consider ideal for placing the filled mold outside?

3. Does a slab mold dissipate heat quicker than a log mold? In other words, more surface area and thinner = faster cooling of the batter.

4. I am using a reliable HP recipe scaled down to a 500 gram batch. Are there any issues that I need to be aware of using CP?
BTW: I will not be adding scent or color in my first CP batch and yes I did use a lye calculator to adjust the recipe down.

5. Since my first CP batch will be 500 grams (oil weight), do I only stick blend to light trace or blend to medium trace before pouring into the mold?

6. How well do you trust your scale? Do you test/recalibrate it? How often? Is it better to have a plug in scale rather than a battery powered one that shuts down by itself?

7. What style and brand of infrared thermometer do you use?

8. What types of information do you record on your recipe data sheets? Date batch was made, batter temps, mold type, type of weather, humidity level, house temperature or any other aspects of the process? Do you have a form you fill out or just wing it?

9. I think I’m OCD! Why do I have so many questions? No – you do not have to answer that one. :wink:
Deka

????

Welcome Deka,

I'm only new to soaping myself so I won't have too many things I can help you with but when it comes to information on your recipe I feel you should write down the date, what essential oils you put in and how much. I will also write down what worked and didn't work.
Today I made a batch of CP soap and it was going great until I added some EO's. It immediatly thicken and 'riced'. (It looked like curds & whey ). So I then HPed the batch and it turned out great. This info I put down on my recipe sheet.
I mostly make CP soap and I always blend until a medium trace. Don't know why, I just do.
Anyway, welcome and happy soaping.
Margo :D

Deka said:
Hi Everyone,

1. Is there a difference in total batch weight between a processed HP batch ready to mold vs. a CP batter ready to pour? In other words, during the HP, does some of the water cook out and reduce the volume of the batch?

Yes, some. But then water evaporates during the cure of both CP and HP.
In the end product, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

Deka said:
2. I’ve noticed that some soapers will put their molded soap outside during colder weather for the first 24 hours. To those of you that do this - Were there any special considerations that you took into account when doing this? Did you do this to stop the gel stage? What temperature range would you consider ideal for placing the filled mold outside?

I put mine in the freezer at -4 F, to prevent a partial gel.

Deka said:
3. Does a slab mold dissipate heat quicker than a log mold? In other words, more surface area and thinner = faster cooling of the batter.

Yes.

Deka said:
4. I am using a reliable HP recipe scaled down to a 500 gram batch. Are there any issues that I need to be aware of using CP?
BTW: I will not be adding scent or color in my first CP batch and yes I did use a lye calculator to adjust the recipe down.

Seems like you're well prepared!

Deka said:
5. Since my first CP batch will be 500 grams (oil weight), do I only stick blend to light trace or blend to medium trace before pouring into the mold?

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Since you're not swirling yet, a thicker trace is just fine.

Deka said:
6. How well do you trust your scale? Do you test/recalibrate it? How often? Is it better to have a plug in scale rather than a battery powered one that shuts down by itself?

I do test my scale now and then, and I'm looking for one that's easy to calibrate.

Deka said:

None :p I just heat my oils until they're melted and and let both oils and lye solution cool down until they're lukewarm to the touch.

Deka said:
8. What types of information do you record on your recipe data sheets? Date batch was made, batter temps, mold type, type of weather, humidity level, house temperature or any other aspects of the process? Do you have a form you fill out or just wing it?

I write down date, recipe, anything unusual.

Deka said:
9. I think I’m OCD! Why do I have so many questions? No – you do not have to answer that one. :wink:
Deka

Sure about that? :lol:

In regards to the question about putting the soap outside to prevent gel, I do like to do that.n. I just adjust how long it is outside depending on how cold it is. A couple hrs outside and then to the garage so nothing would freeze overnight. Beware of prowling neighborhood cats :x Cover with a laundry basket or something vented.

How well do you trust your scale?
Until something goes wrong. Didn't happen yet (a cheap battery scale here).

About infrared thermometers I only vaguely know there are some reliability issues which are different than normal thermometers.

Fragola said:

About infrared thermometers I only vaguely know there are some reliability issues which are different than normal thermometers.

Right, I thought they usually measure the surface temp.
I have used a candy thermometer in the past.

Deka said:

Deka

:lol: I'm pretty anal about taking notes, but I draw the line at weather/house temp/humidity level. That's just too much to stress out about for me. I do have my limits. :lol:

I make note of these things:

date
batch number
batch size
complete recipe, including any addtives, scent, colorants, etc...
the vendor I bought the scent from
mold type
soaping temps
how long or short it took to come to trace
whether any problems ocurred like ricing, etc... and what my remedies were
whether it gelled or not
did I insulate or not
whether the scent or color morphed, before, during, or after cure
how the soap performed
whether it zapped or not
when I hand-stirred or stickblended
how the finished soap performed- did it lather well, or was it too drying, etc.

I think that's pretty much it.

Oh, as for thermometer, I've used candy thermometers just fine, but lately I've been using a handy-dandy probe-type thermometer with a clip that attaches it to my pot. Also- the probe is attached by a heat-proof wire to a little hand-held digital contraption that lets me know by beeping when the desired temp is reached. I really like that it alerts me, since there have been one or two times where I got distracted and I let things heat longer than I would have normally.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
Deka said:
Oh, as for thermometer, I've used candy thermometers just fine, but lately I've been using a handy-dandy probe-type thermometer with a clip that attaches it to my pot. Also- the probe is attached by a heat-proof wire to a little hand-held digital contraption that lets me know by beeping when the desired temp is reached. I really like that it alerts me, since there have been one or two times where I got distracted and I let things heat longer than I would have normally.

IrishLass, can you share the brand and where you found that thermometer?

Sounds like it would be really nice for lotions, heating and holding

Re: ????

younglivingmargo said:
Welcome Deka,

I'm only new to soaping myself so I won't have too many things I can help you with but when it comes to information on your recipe I feel you should write down the date, what essential oils you put in and how much. I will also write down what worked and didn't work.
Today I made a batch of CP soap and it was going great until I added some EO's. It immediatly thicken and 'riced'. (It looked like curds & whey ). So I then HPed the batch and it turned out great. This info I put down on my recipe sheet.
I mostly make CP soap and I always blend until a medium trace. Don't know why, I just do.
Anyway, welcome and happy soaping.
Margo :D

Hi Margo,

Thank you for adding your experience to my quest for information.

Are your sheets in paper form or do you keep it on the computer?

I'm trying to develop a form so your input is what I'm looking for.

Trust me, I'm taking lots of notes on what I need to keep track of. :lol:

Again, Your input is much appreciated!

Deka

dagmar88 said:
Deka said:
Hi Everyone,

Yes, some. But then water evaporates during the cure of both CP and HP.
In the end product, it shouldn't make much of a difference.

I was worried about the volume in the mold between the two types of processing. Sounds like I was worrying for nothing, :lol:

Deka said:

I put mine in the freezer at -4 F, to prevent a partial gel.

Hummm - The outside temps are not that cold so even if I put the filled mold outside, I may still get gelling. That is good to know.

Deka said:

Yes.

I figured as much - just needed confirmation ----Thank you!

Deka said:

Seems like you're well prepared!

As well as I can be. :D

Deka said:

Depends on what you're trying to achieve. Since you're not swirling yet, a thicker trace is just fine.

Yep - no swirl, just a basic, simple batch.

Deka said:

I do test my scale now and then, and I'm looking for one that's easy to calibrate.

When working is small batches, I think I'll be testing before every batch --- just because it is easy to do.

Deka said:

None :p I just heat my oils until they're melted and and let both oils and lye solution cool down until they're lukewarm to the touch.

:lol: Not sure that I would trust my touch sensitivity just yet!!!

Deka said:

I write down date, recipe, anything unusual.

Deka said:
Deka

Sure about that? :lol:

Not at all!!! :wink:

ToniD said:
In regards to the question about putting the soap outside to prevent gel, I do like to do that.n. I just adjust how long it is outside depending on how cold it is. A couple hrs outside and then to the garage so nothing would freeze overnight. Beware of prowling neighborhood cats :x Cover with a laundry basket or something vented.

ToniD,

You pose a very intersting situation about time and temps. Since I don't have a garage I may be able to use the unheated hobby room to cool the filled mold down. That would address a prowling neighbor issue.

Very good points to consider!

Thank you so much for your input and experience.

Deka

carebear said:
5 US quarters = 1 ounce

Carebear,

So that would mean that 80 quarters would be 16 oz. If there would be a slight deviation at 1 oz, 16 oz would show a definate deviation!

Thank you for this information so I can test the scale before measuring the ingredients.

Thank you for this valuable information!!!

Deka

Fragola said:

Fragola,

I guess the scale reliability is the OCD side of me. If I can't trust the scale on a regular basis, what can I trust? :?

I have read that infrareds can have issues +/- 2-3 deg. If the oils and lye solution has been well stirred, measuring the surface temp 'should' be indicative of the rest of the liquids, shouldn't it?

Your input has been taken to heart in my quest for information. Thank you!!!

Deka

dagmar88 said:
Fragola said:

Right, I thought they usually measure the surface temp.
I have used a candy thermometer in the past.

Fragola,

Have you experienced the glass degrading from the lye solution?

Deka

IrishLass said:
Deka said:

Deka

:lol: I'm pretty anal about taking notes, but I draw the line at weather/house temp/humidity level. That's just too much to stress out about for me. I do have my limits. :lol:

I make note of these things:

date
batch number
batch size
complete recipe, including any addtives, scent, colorants, etc...
the vendor I bought the scent from
mold type
soaping temps
how long or short it took to come to trace
whether any problems ocurred like ricing, etc... and what my remedies were
whether it gelled or not
did I insulate or not
whether the scent or color morphed, before, during, or after cure
how the soap performed
whether it zapped or not
when I hand-stirred or stickblended
how the finished soap performed- did it lather well, or was it too drying, etc.

I think that's pretty much it.

IrishLass,

I am impressed with your list of soaping details that you keep track of. Very Impressive! Your list will be the foundation of what I will be tracking.

I was wondering about using a temp probe in the insulation process. It seems to me that it would be very handy in alerting one to an overheating batch. Glad to know that I was thinking along the same lines. :lol:

There is so much to learn about CP that HP does not have. That is why I've done so much research. I don't want to waste supplies.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. It is priceless!!

Deka

I guess the scale reliability is the OCD side of me. If I can't trust the scale on a regular basis, what can I trust?

Actually, you aren't trusting your scale - since you are obsessing over constant calibration, power versus batteries, etc. Trust requires that extra leap ... of faith (and not only with scales).

Personally, I am trusting it, since it has proved trustworthy sofar.

Have you experienced the glass degrading from the lye solution?
I use borosilicate glass for the lye solution. Haven't noticed any degradation there.

But often people don't recommend glass, since any glass can potentially break due to shock (either physical or thermal).

Latest posts

Back