Round Soaps & sticky bottles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBaffie

Reaction score
Hi Folks. Hope all is fine and dandy in Soap World.
I've been trying to make round bars by re-using old plastic bottles for moulds. The results are inconsistent. Some come out fine, but there's a lot of sticking going on and unmoulding them is wasteful and very unsatisfying. I've tried following some online tips like leaving them cure for a few weeks and popping them in the freezer just before unmoulding, but it's still not working right.
I need a process or mould that will give consistent results and make me pucks (or cylinders that I can cut) roughly 3" in diameter. Silicone cookie moulds that I've found are so far all too small. I've been thinking that maybe some pillar candle moulds could help?
How do you do it?
Can any of you give me some pointers to make this happen?
McB x

Search for YT videos using “pvc soap mold.” This will show you how to make molds using 3” pvc pipe from the plumbing section or sprinkler section of the hardware store. Cut the pipe to about 12” in length. Buy a tester cap for one end. The whole thing should be less than $10.

I don’t line mine with freezer paper, but some do. Others grease them with Vaseline or line them with silicone cutting mats from the Dollar Store that have been cut to fit inside. I just put mine in the freezer for 30 minutes, let it sit out for ten minutes, and the loaf slides right out. But that can depend on your recipe, too.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks pal. I thought about pvc pipe but had assumed it would stick too. Will deffo give it a go now.
I'm off out to the hardware store :)

I've never heard of using bottles as a mold. Usually the less expensive option is a short length of Pvc pipe lined with Vaseline, silicone, or freezer paper, or leave it unlined and use the freezer. Put a cap on the bottom or place the tube on a hard surface lined with freezer paper or silicone. In either case, its recommended to have it in a batter-safe dish. Use Vaseline, soy wax, or shortening to seal it, or melt & pour soap if there isn't a cap.
There are lots of YouTube tutorials on this, as mentioned.

The bottles can look really good, especially if they are ridged or have any patterns embossed on them as that comes through on the soap. Square bottles can be nice too. I use olive oil that comes in square profile bottles so it's a good second use for them. I've had some nice bars doing it.
But sometimes the soap sticks too much and then looks ugly. Or I have to fight to remove the bottles with a craft knife and it's time consuming and irritating, and inevitably painful ;)
So yeah. PVC pipes will be more uniform and easier. Makes sense.
Thanks for the help folks. X

Hi Folks. Hope all is fine and dandy in Soap World.
I've been trying to make round bars by re-using old plastic bottles for moulds. The results are inconsistent. Some come out fine, but there's a lot of sticking going on and unmoulding them is wasteful and very unsatisfying. I've tried following some online tips like leaving them cure for a few weeks and popping them in the freezer just before unmoulding, but it's still not working right.
I need a process or mould that will give consistent results and make me pucks (or cylinders that I can cut) roughly 3" in diameter. Silicone cookie moulds that I've found are so far all too small. I've been thinking that maybe some pillar candle moulds could help?
How do you do it?
Can any of you give me some pointers to make this happen?
McB x

Apply a release agent to the inside of your cut-down plastic bottles. Mineral oil, Vaseline, lanolin all work well as a release agent with just a very thin coating.

Other possible re-purposed containers that may work for you: Round yogurt containers (Siggi sells several sizes of yogurt and one is about 3 inches in diameter if I remember correctly), or any round snack-size food container made of plastic. Pringles (potato chips) round containers are close to that diameter, and are usable for round soap, with a bit of ingenuity.

Apply a release agent to the inside of your cut-down plastic bottles. Mineral oil, Vaseline, lanolin all work well as a release agent with just a very thin coating.

Other possible re-purposed containers that may work for you: Round yogurt containers (Siggi sells several sizes of yogurt and one is about 3 inches in diameter if I remember correctly), or any round snack-size food container made of plastic. Pringles (potato chips) round containers are close to that diameter, and are usable for round soap, with a bit of ingenuity.
Thanks Earlene.
Is there no residue from the releasing agent? I've heard of doing this, but don't want to contaminate my soap with anything that's not in it. How do you go about removing the releasing agent?
I'm thinking maybe a greaseproof paper lining will do the trick.

I use vaseline in my pvc mold and have never noticed a residue. You apply a super, super thin layer.

Thanks Earlene.
Is there no residue from the releasing agent? I've heard of doing this, but don't want to contaminate my soap with anything that's not in it. How do you go about removing the releasing agent?
I'm thinking maybe a greaseproof paper lining will do the trick.
Like Obsidian said, usually I don't have a residue. I use my finger & run lightly. After the soap is removed, I wash the mold normally. If you mean removing the residue from the soap, just wipe it off with a cloth if you think you have residue.

Latest posts

Back