Rose Petal turns dark after put into soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukelee

Reaction score
I put some red dried rose petals on the surface of cp soap trace, but after a few weeks, they all turned to dark color.
How to keep the rose petal in red color?

I have not had any luck with that. I even tried hot process, where the soap is cooked to completion, then added the rose petal--still turns brown. It turns out that the anthocyanins that color flowers and fruits red, pink, purple, blue etc. are very reactive to pH, and finished soap still has a rather high pH.

Unfortunately they simply do and I've not ever heard of anyone having luck with that. There are a few flowers that will keep its colour in soap. Calendula & Blue Malva both hold up well.

I saw this photo:
img_2443-copy.jpg

I've had no luck with anything except calendula petals. The blue malva looks really interesting! (But expensive, maybe I'll try to grow some).

A couple of years back I tried cornflowers. The color held up longer than most petals, but they too eventually turned brown, alas.

I've seen lots of pictures of bright colored rose petals on soap. So finally I asked someone how they keep them from going brown. There answer, "Oh, they turn brown, we just take the picture right away while the flowers are still pink."

Latest posts

Back