recipie fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbarrett

Reaction score
I r eciently tried a new recipie trying to make a whiter soap. I was pretty successful and proud of myself but when went back hours later I realized I had forgotten 10 oz of olive oil in a 5 lb batch.

Now when I created the recipie I super fat at 6 percent. When I rerun the recipie without the super fat and without the olive oil I found out I was still an oz heavy on lye.

Do I have to scrap the whole thing? Can it still be used? Or should I attempt rebatch?

Thanks

What sort of negative superfat is that? There was an experiment with a super-lye heavy recipe that was also very high in water that ends up being lye-neutral after some curing. What sort of water amount did you use?

To be honest, a rebatch with the oil might be the best idea.

You should probably re-batch or throw away. However, there was a thread about soap that was very lye heavy, then you let the soap cure for a year and the lye combines with the oxygen to form a new substance and eventually makes very nice soap.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=42922

So if you don't want to rebatch, you could let the soap sit for a year and try it.

What sort of negative superfat is that? There was an experiment with a super-lye heavy recipe that was also very high in water that ends up being lye-neutral after some curing. What sort of water amount did you use?

To be honest, a rebatch with the oil might be the best idea.

Thank you ladies. I will rebatch. SAD too because it came out beautifully.

So I am thinking of doing a crock pot rebatch and just using the oil and a touch of distilled h2o as my liquid. Would that work?

I r eciently tried a new recipie trying to make a whiter soap. I was pretty successful and proud of myself but when went back hours later I realized I had forgotten 10 oz of olive oil in a 5 lb batch.

Now when I created the recipie I super fat at 6 percent. When I rerun the recipie without the super fat and without the olive oil I found out I was still an oz heavy on lye.

Do I have to scrap the whole thing? Can it still be used? Or should I attempt rebatch?

Thanks

Not that I don't make my fair share of mistakes (frequently forgetting to put fragrance in my batch until after it's molded, but here is a suggestion that may help with the mis-calculation of oils. I print my recipes from Soapcalc. Then out in the right margin next to the oil weights by grams, I manually add a running total of all oils. Then I add my oils one-by-one to a single large container without removing it from the scales. That way, as I add each successive oil, the total weight on the scale should come up to my running total. Does that make sense or help anyone?

You just need to grate that soap up and add the missing oil. With that much oil missing, you should not need much(if any) water. But you are probably going to want to do half(by weight) at the time if you are going to use a crock pot.

Latest posts

Back