recipe input

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthmother99

Reaction score
So I am sitting here looking over my recipe that I used for my first attempt of RTCP soap because its still not quite how I want it to behave. The soap came out almost a perfect white { meaning why did i use EEVO]You dont notice it till its next to something pure white.It traced with in 5 min was pourable for the mold Cut wonderfully the next day. It has lots of bubbles and feels creamy when you use it and is a really hard bar now that it has cured. Problems - developed a slight ash while curing {just on the surface}. And while it doesnt dry my skin when i use it it also doesnt leave any moisturizing behind. So now I have to figure how to make it more moisturizing..... So while I sit and ponder and read thru it I notice I never reset the lye discount from when I played with it to see how it works. I had no lye discount for the following 11.64 lard, 8.73 veg shortening, 5.82 co { 92 degree}, 1.46 safflower oil, 1.46 EVOO, 1.46 castor oil. Lye 4.51. Min water 10.52 These are all in oz. This made a 1 pound loaf. So now my question is what % do you think I should set the lye discount at??????? Or should I just add more oil at trace to superfat{and if so how much do you think I should add???????
Thanks for any help and hugs to all Di { really want to make this better as I like how it feels when im using it}

Yea - zero superfat is going to be drying even if you have the mildest recipe in the world - cause soap's job is to remove oils...

If you make the recipe again you should superfat at probably 6% if you are looking for extra "conditioning". If you want to rebatch this one and add some oils, adding 2.5 oz of olive oil will give you an effective superfat of 6%

Thank you Carebear I prob wont rebatch it, just use it for other stuff. But I do intend to make it again AND you can bet I wont forget to set the lye discount in the future. It was a good lesson to learn
Di

Back