recipe feedback please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolejka

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am getting ready to do my pumpkin soaps for my wedding favors and came up with these two recipes, they differ very slightly and the numbers look ok to me but I really don't know what kind of bar it will make.
The oils listed are the oils I have at home.
I am really nervous about making this.
I am going for a bar that would be kinda mild, conditioning but will produce some bubbles.
Thank you for any feedback!

pumpkin soap2.jpg

pumpkinsoap1.jpg

Hi Petrolejka,

It's all about personal preferences and the above looks fine to me- not overdrying, good condition #, good iodine #, great hardness, I'd amp up the bubbles a bit- I like twice as much creamy as bubbly like yours already is due to the peceived luxury and covering a creamy lather provides. Curious about the puree- does it increase the batch's propensity to spoil? Pumpkin has a lot of carbs, nat sugars, and may turn brown when exposed to lye so consider that one a bit before adding. A 24 oz batch isn't a huge loss if things don't work out at ~4-6 bars but it still hurts. My guess is you should be ok.

Best!

Julie

I agree both recipes look fine. I also think the bubbly value is fine since you will be using beer and pumpkin puree for the liquid. But if you're concerned about the bubbliness, I have a slightly similar recipe with 19% CO/5% castor/100% water, didn't add anything with sugar to it and it bubbles like crazy. I don't think 2% difference in CO amounts would make much of a difference. Also, I only used 5% superfat and it's very conditioning, too. However, I'd suggest you keep an eye on it since the combination of beer, pumpkin and FO may overheat.

Please post back and let us know how it turns out. When's the wedding?

thank you so much for the feedback. I am going to try both versions and see if the palm oil makes any difference :)

The wedding is October 5th so I have about 3 months to get it all done. I will definitely post pictures after I make them. I am really excited. I also plan on making a stamp that will have our names and the date on it.

I made the first test batch and everything went well, I tried a little piece and it lathers really well already. I did gel it and just cut it tonight and it's still really soft in the middle. I also tried to make my own stamp but I dont think I made it deep enough so it doesn't show much. I will make another one tomorrow. Overall I am really happy with how the soap turned out. I wish the color would stay like the middle part but the reddish color on the outside is pretty too so I am ok with that.

1016166_10201320188434502_1509356170_n.jpg

I am going to guess your whole soap will be the color of the darker rind eventually. That's what I end up with when I see that kind of thing in my soaps, anyway. Kudos for working so hard on this project!!!!

yeah I am not sure why the color has a red tint to it. I am thinking I burned the guinness a bit though as I didnt freeze it, just used it from fridge and pretty much just dumped the lye in it because I was tired and lazy. And it did "boil" a bit? ANyway the lye solution was kinda reddish too, so maybe thats why the red color. I like it though.

here is a picture of the soaps stamped, I soaped them 5 days ago, waited 3 days to cut, 5 days before I stamped them. When I tried to use the stamp right after cutting the soap was too soft, stamped them this morning and it went pretty well.

1016494_10201326670956561_789966744_n.jpg

Last edited:
recipe calculator

This is a very interesting formula, and am also wondering about the shelf life of this soap, due to the food puree included. But what I really want to know is, where did you find your recipe calculator? Yours gives a good bit more info than the one I currently use, if you don't mind sharing. :)

Back