My ingredient is not on soapcalc.net!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annashelt

Reaction score
Hi there, I am planning to make a new bar soap using Cacay Cut Oil, and it's not on the ingredients list in soapcalc.net. Does anyone have any advice on how to calculate my recipe if my ingredient is not in the calculator? I was thinking I could try to find the most similar oil to it that IS in the list, but I can't be sure I'll pick the right one, or if that's even the best route to take. Help!

I checked a few other calculators and didn't see it there either. But I did find this fatty acid profile on a distributor's website. You should be able to use this to compare to other oils and find one that is similar, or to create a custom oil profile in soap calculators that allow for that.

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 10.05.47 AM.png

As an aside, please remember that the properties we love in raw oils are often drastically changed when the oil comes in contact with lye. Coconut oil is a great example. Raw CO is often used as a skin moisturizer. When CO is used to make soap, it becomes the exact opposite, stripping oils from the skin and leaving it quite dry.

You don't have any way to be sure that the cacay oil properties you desire will survive saponification. But you do know for sure that the linolenic and other fatty acids which are so beneficial to skin will be chemically changed into something else by the lye.

Honestly, cacay is such expensive oil, that unless you are using tiny amounts in your soap for label appeal, it's better used in whipped body butter, lotions, or solid hair conditioner bars, where you get the benefits of all the good things in this lovely oil. :)

Last edited:
Hey @AliOop that is some great information- I think I am going to get some good label appeal out of this, so I'm hoping it's a successful recipe :) I really appreciate your wisdom!

Latest posts

Back