Rebatching questions...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblefan

Reaction score
I could use some input from seasoned rebatchers.

I think making a large batch of unscented white soap that I can later rebatch in to smaller, different scented batches is the way to go.

What are the cons of rebatching? Any?

Also, what is an appropriate water to soap ratio when rebatching with soap that is cured and relatively hard?

Thanks SMFers!

: )

I just rebatched a couple of soaps, this is my first time, but I must tell you that one batch melted well but it was soft and the other batch was a hard soap and did not melt very well at all. I think I should have grated it, but since the softer batch just melted down without grating I didn't bother and now regret that decision.

The cons of rebatching are it's a bitch to grate. You always get a little bit of knuckle in with your soap.

The amount of water really depends on the soap. I use milk, and I just cover the bottom of the crockpot, and then as it melts I add as needed. I don't measure, I just eyeball it.

But rebatching is a pain, I would really rather just do them once unless I have to.

So far, I've tried rebatching once with a small amount of soap. I easily grated it in the food processer, so the well being of my knuckles isn't an issue.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

It has been 10 days and the soap is still in the mold because is hasn't quite set. I assume I used way too much water. In the beginning, I was measuring the water I added, but then I started to just toss in a couple of tablespoons here and there and totally lost track.

bubblefan said:

I think making a large batch of unscented white soap that I can later rebatch in to smaller, different scented batches is the way to go.

Also, what is an appropriate water to soap ratio when rebatching with soap that is cured and relatively hard?

Thanks SMFers!

hey there! Well there are many cons for example it takes quite a while depending on how you make it to melt. Then it won't be fluid like cp or mp. It sets up fast as well

Soap over a month old 1/4 cup of ds water soap not so old 4 tbs of ds water

Can you rebatch to add additional oils? I have some soap that doesn't lather and was considering trying to add additional castor oil to the soap to get it to lather.

I don't think the additional castor will do more than make it oily - it's SAPONIFIED castor that creates the lather.

unless, that is, you have excess lye in the soap to begin with - then it might help ;)

Hey Bubblefan, put your soap into the freezer so you can get it out of the mold and cut. By doing that it will actually dry out - it may take a week or two - but it will dry out.

mjmccauley - you can't additional oils other than Vitamin W Oil when re-batching. What type of soap are you unhappy with the lather?

Lindy said:
you can't additional oils other than Vitamin W Oil when re-batching
Lindy, that's not quite correct. You can add any type of oil you choose. What you shouldn't do is add large amounts of any oil, as they won't saponify.

Hi Becky - True you can add other oils but that's all they are going to be is oil - they're not going to increase the lather. So why would you add other oils at the re-batch stage? This is a sincere question - I'm really asking this so I can learn more than I knew before this conversation?

bubblefan said:

Thanks SMFers!

If you like you can check out my blog! It has my rebatch method on it.
http://www.moonstruckmagic.blogspot.com

Adding extra oils during rebatch makes a more emollient bar. Take a look at Peppers tutorial on her blog, it explains rebatching better than I can :lol: and her soaps are lovely!

Thank you for the info. It didn't even cross my mind that the reason that castor increases lather is the lye. I don't know why, but it didn't. I have some honey soap that doesn't lather and is a bit slimy. I was hopping to change it of the better, since most people don't think that the soap works well if it doesn't lather up really good. I think that it cleans well and leaves my hands nice and smooth.

Thank you as well - I had been told that the only oils you can add at rebatch was Vitamin E Oil & Sweet Almond Oil. I appreciate the extra information - it nice to learn something new.

Cheers

mjmccauley said:
Can you rebatch to add additional oils? I have some soap that doesn't lather and was considering trying to add additional castor oil to the soap to get it to lather.

Yes you can add oils and butters and most anything else. But only add up to 1.5oz of oils and butters per pound.

Back