The hollow, ringing sound of a nice bar of soap... I can't be the only one, right?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see endless threads here about color, design, appearance, and scent of various soaps, but I'm not sure I've seen one where anyone raves about how their soap sounds. I love tapping on a bar of soap to hear that hard, woody, hollow sound that the best ones have. My rebatched soap is rubbery and doesn't have that ringing tone (no tone at all, really) so is subtly disappointing to me. I suspect that over time I'll be able to tell when a batch has finished curing just by the sound!

Please chime in if you're also in the (presumed) minority who obsessively tap their soap to listen to the tone.

I tap my bread. I've never tapped my soap. Ofc the weight changes as they cure but when they've gone way beyond the average curing time, that's when I really notice the weight. There's nothing like 1+ year old soap.

Did your rubbery re-batch finish curing yet @Jorah? Maybe it will sound right in a month or two when it loses the water? You have that old rebatched bar of Franklin’s Crown Soap that I sent. Does it sound like regular CP soap when it’s cured? A couple of years ago I salted out very old soap scraps and then processed them into soap. At first they were very water heavy, but they eventually dried and became beautiful, hard, long lasting bars.

I’ll try tapping my bars to see if I can discern tone differences. It may work better for me when I get hearing aids later this Fall. 🦻🎶

Jorah and the soap sudsationals.... rocken to Bubbly blues.....

I'm sorry Jorah. It just came out. I used to be in the percussion section. So, I'm sure I have a pair of sticks somewhere. Can I play background?

You mentioned coming to NH. Lmk, if you might/want have time. For a quick meet and greet. Pm me.

Last edited:
Jorah and the soap sudsationals.... rocken to Bubbly blues.....

I'm sorry Jorah. It just came out. I used to be in the percussion section. So, I'm sure I have a pair of sticks somewhere. Can I play background?

You mentioned coming to NH. Lmk, if you might/want have time. For a quick meet and greet. Pm me.
Yay! Pick and Grin night! I'll sing (and grin!)

Latest posts

Back