Rebatch?? Need Help Please??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadiebugs1

Reaction score
Hi!

I've made about 10 batches of the same recipe GM soap until this last one here (Vanilla Rose FO) I added a bit more of the GM concentrate than normal, but still not enough to add up to the FULL liquid amount for the recipe....make sense so far??

Anywho....It's toast...I BELIEVE it over heated probably due to the extra GM?

Here's what it started out to look like, Pretty HUH?
100_6926.jpg

Then I noticed it started lookin a little 'bubbly' on top after a few hours. It was in the silicone mold, wraped on the sides with a couple of hand towels, cardboard layed on top with a couple of hand towels layed on top of that....insulated but not super insulated.

Then the next day, it popped out of the mold ok, but sticky reddish goop was on the bottom center....I scraped it off but the underlying soap was still brown.....THEN I poked a tiny little hole in the top and oil oozed out....as you can see from the cardboard laying underneath...A LOT of oil oozed out.....
100_6947.jpg

This is a close-up look.....
100_6944.jpg

Now, my question(s) to you all is...can I rebatch this?? I've never rebatched before. If it can be saved how do I go about doing that? I have a crock pot...do I just melt it in there and re-pour? Or does more liquid need to be added...or since it's BURNT can it not be rebatched??

Can anyone help me save what was supposed to be my spactacular Valentines GM soap?? :roll:

You may or may not be able to save it - I don't know what the brown part is on the bottom. I would recommend putting your gloves back on and cutting it up into small pieces and then throwing it into a pot for the oven. Let it cook in the oven for several hours at 170 - 200 F until it's soft again. Stir occassionally. It is not going to go back to a liquid stage, but it will get soft enough to put into a mold again. You will be "glopping" it in and then tapping the mold on the counter to get the air bubbles out.

There are other ways to rebatch but for such a large batch this is the quickest route IMHO

Thanks Lindy, I'm glad someone responded....I'm gettin kinda bummed about it. :cry: I did almost cry when I saw that oil oozing out of my beautiful soap.... :cry: :cry:

I don't think I have a pan I could put in the oven...a glass cassarole dish?? I was hoping to use the crock pot I got especially for trying to make soap in it....but it's still a virgin. :wink:

It's only a small batch, compared to most folk's recipes...24oz. of oils. Is that too large to try to rebatch?

Let me know about the cassarole dish (8x8" i think, more like a brownie pan) or how/if I can break in my crock pot. Have you ever (or anyone?) used the crock pot for re-melting/re-batching soap? I'd love to hear some experiences with that!

Lindy, what are the instruction for your rebatching methods? I love the smooth look and the whipped look. Do you mind sharing? I heard it through the grapevine that you are the rebatch queen!

Thank you....

I posted the whipped rebatch method over in tutorials for anyone who wants to try it.

I do like how the soap turns out and it floats which is great for kids and kids at theart.

HTH

Lindy

Will rebatching this soap do anything for that "burnt" smell it has. I can't imagine that it would.....

I just re-melted (re-batched I guess) a small batch of 100% Lard (had to break in the crock pot! :wink: ) because I let it get too hard before trying to cut it. So it crumbled. I took the crumbles, added water and then I took the mixer and mixed it at high speed! What Fun! Now I have a big, pink (added a smidge of red oxide to original batch), fluffy, and unscented lard soap. But it was fun practice.

Another thing I noticed is that the FO I used in the GM soap (original post-Vanilla Rose), which still smells strongly along with the burnt smell, completely disappeared when I made another batch of soap with it. ?? What's that all about??

jadiebugs1 said:
Will rebatching this soap do anything for that "burnt" smell it has. I can't imagine that it would.....

I just re-melted (re-batched I guess) a small batch of 100% Lard (had to break in the crock pot! :wink: ) because I let it get too hard before trying to cut it. So it crumbled. I took the crumbles, added water and then I took the mixer and mixed it at high speed! What Fun! Now I have a big, pink (added a smidge of red oxide to original batch), fluffy, and unscented lard soap. But it was fun practice.

Another thing I noticed is that the FO I used in the GM soap (original post-Vanilla Rose), which still smells strongly along with the burnt smell, completely disappeared when I made another batch of soap with it. ?? What's that all about??

I guess I'm trying to understand. Are you saying that you rebatched the original soap, or were you exerimenting with something else? Anyway, your original GM soap was quite nice, but for the record, I don't insulate milk soap. Obviously, it got too hot. But then, you said that this was your 10th batch. I assume that you insulated the other batches? Most soaps that I rebatch retain some of the scent. In your case, it's good that it went away. Please let us know what you think the culprit to the overheating was.

To explain a little clearer (I hope, lol!):

Original Post was about the 10th batch of GM soap, same recipe......1 had overheated before, but I added honey, OMH FO.....so I assumed that's what it was... I think this one (the Vanilla Rose) overheated.....because of the 'extra' GM concentrate I added to it. Probably and extra 2oz. for a 24oz. oils batch.

Anywho....I broke in the crock pot using a whole different batch of LARD soap....no connection...just the fact that I wanted to TRY the crock pot...and it worked. It worked at least for a soap that was completely OK to begin with....

What I'm wondering now....is if I try to re-melt the GM/Vanilla Rose soap in the crock; will the burnt smell go away or not?
I wanted to make another soap with Vanilla Rose FO to be ready for Valentines...so I made yet another batch, reg CP recipe...no goat's milk...but after 2 days, this new soap has a very faint smell of maybe baby powder or something but does not smell at all of Vanilla Rose.....
In other words...the screwed up GM still smells strongly of the FO, the new batch which is of the same quantity of oils, does not....

Does that make any better sense??? Shoot...I've got myself confused now! Yee Haw! :roll:

ETA: I also believe I soaped this on the hot side, instead of letting my lye/water cool down......

OK. I follow you now. I would try to rebatch the GM/Vanilla Rose because you have nothing to lose and it is a great possiblitiy that the scent may fade. Maybe, the pieces that were burnt, the brown pieces, don't put those in the crock. Most of my rebatches retain some of the scent, though faint, I just add more scent once it's done melting.
Once your rebatch gets a good vaseline consistency, add a little scent to see if you're enhancing it or making it worse. If it smells better add a little more.

Another thing about rebatching. If the soap melts (cooks) long enough,
meaning if you let it melt to the vaseline consistency, then your soap becomes very much like HP soap. The soap has no zap, most of the soaps become hard really fast and the cure date can be a week later as opppsed to weeks away. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back