Rebatch?? Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
So my 1st cp attempt didn't work out so well. I didn't bring it to trace properly so the oils separated. Had oil spilling out over the top of the mould. The bits that have started to set are quite soft and oily.

Can I rebatch this? Does it matter that I lost loads of oil that spilled over the sides? Should I just throw it away and tKe this as a good 1st lesson??

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

Do you have any idea how much oil you lost? If you do, it would be easy enough to replace it and rebatch. If you have not washed the dish towel it drained on, just weigh a dry towel, then weigh the one with the oils in it. The difference is how much you lost. And it might not be just oil you lost. Also, I know you put a lot of time and effort into the top, so are you willing to have a "less than pretty" soap? Because rebatch soap is not very pretty.

I really don't want this to sound ugly in any way, but do you think you might want to make a basic batch of soap before you try to make a masterpiece? I am just asking because the more ingredients/steps you have, the more that can go wrong.

I started with a single oil soap with no color or scent. I then made one with 3 oils and an EO. The next one I added color. Very slow progress, but the result was that I learned how to properly weigh, how to properly mix(stick blenders are a must!), how to recognize true trace, how to insulate properly(so the towel does not hit the soap)...etc.

Last edited:
I certainly would not toss it until you try rebatching. Estimate how much oil you lost add it into the rebatch and cook. If you soap does not zap after cooking you are good to go. If it does zap you can always add in some more oil and rebatch again. Worst that will happen is you up your superfat level by adding in extra oil. I just had a batch I ended up rebatching 3 times before it decided to play nice. It was a very very cranky fo

It was a basic recipe, just olive oil. Coconut oil and palm oil. I didn't add any fragrance as it was only ever going to be a tester.

Me being me I can't just keep things simple so had to add some colour and a fancy frosting top tee hee

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

Back