Real Coconut Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abigtroutt

Reaction score
Living in South Florida I have unlimited access to coconuts growing on trees. Has any one used real coconut milk from the coconut and not the cans? I just cut 4 coconuts down from my tree and now have to shuck from the shell then get the milk out. I figured the soap will have natural sugar from the sweet milk...good for bubbles. Then I planned on shreading the coconut, toasting it, then adding it at trace for a natural coconut milk soap.

What do you all think?

Thanks
ABT

LOVE the fresh milk idea. not sure how the coconut part will hold up as it may rot out. or it may not.

I'm curious as all get out how your soap will turn out and how it will hold up. So please keep us informed!

actually i dont think it would rot at all... coconut milk can be used as a natural anti-bacterial and has LOADS of vitamins...its pretty much like a plants version of the fluid in the amniotic sac inside of a womans womb.

i think it would also be cool to take some of the coco coir (the shaggy stringy stuff on the husk of the coconut) and use that either ground up or in the same way you would when making a loofah-pour soap...

nice scrubby action! :)

good idea!!

If you use Vitamin E oil (as a preservative) in you soap recipe the coconut milk shouldn't have any affect on soap, the meat part of the coconut could be toasted afterwards, once you make the coconut milk from it. Isn't the liquid inside the coconut just water (correct me if I'm wrong)?

IanT said:
actually i dont think it would rot at all... coconut milk can be used as a natural anti-bacterial and has LOADS of vitamins...its pretty much like a plants version of the fluid in the amniotic sac inside of a womans womb.
interesting comparison.

but I wasn't talking about the milk rotting but pieces of coconut itself.

vitamin E is absolutely NOT a preservative, nor will it keep organic material from rotting. it is an antioxidant and can extend the shelf life of oils.

and no, the liquid inside a coconut isn't just water.

I found this on the net. Here is some information about Coconut Water:

"It's a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. It's the fluid of life, so to speak." In fact, during the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water - siphoned directly from the nut - to give emergency plasma trasfusions to wounded soldiers.

Most coconut water is still consumed fresh in tropical coastal areas - once exposed to air, the liquid rapidly loses most of its organoleptic and nutritional characteristics, and begins to ferment.

Coconut Water is More Nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol!
Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice - Much lower calories
Coconut Water is Better than processed baby milk- It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk
Coconut water is naturally sterile -- Water permeates though the filtering husk!
Coconut water is a universal donor-- Its identical to human blook plasma
Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood.
Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV.
"Coconut water is the very stuff of Nature, biologically Pure, full of Natural Sugars, Salts, and Vitamins to ward off fatigue... and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural!", according to Mortin Satin, Chielf of the United Nation's Food & Agriculture Organization.

Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks.

Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200 mg!

Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.

Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg, compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.

Data is based on a 100ml drink.

carebear said:
IanT said:
interesting comparison.

but I wasn't talking about the milk rotting but pieces of coconut itself.

vitamin E is absolutely NOT a preservative, nor will it keep organic material from rotting. it is an antioxidant and can extend the shelf life of oils.

and no, the liquid inside a coconut isn't just water.

No she can use Vitamin E oil as preservation along with citric acid or Grapefruit seed extract.

abigtroutt said:
Living in South Florida I have unlimited access to coconuts growing on trees. Has any one used real coconut milk from the coconut and not the cans? I just cut 4 coconuts down from my tree and now have to shuck from the shell then get the milk out. I figured the soap will have natural sugar from the sweet milk...good for bubbles. Then I planned on shreading the coconut, toasting it, then adding it at trace for a natural coconut milk soap.

What do you all think?

Thanks
ABT

Hi ABT - I think adding coconut water to soap is an awesome idea. Based on the information that you posted about its composition perhaps try adding it to your oils as a discounted portion of the water content......what I mean is the lye may destroy many of its benefits and using it as an extra with the oils or at light trace may keep some benefits there for your skin??? Does that make sense.....? :?

Tanya :)

Cattleyabubbles said:
No she can use Vitamin E oil as preservation along with citric acid or Grapefruit seed extract.

Um, no. Vitamin E is an antioxidant & will extend the shelf-life of oils. It won't do any preserving beyond that. Can you give some scientific fact to support it as a true preservative? Can you site some challenge testing?

GSE is also not a preservative.

Here is one report from the Institute of Pharmacy, Ernst Moritz Arndt University, Greifswald, Germany:

“The antimicrobial efficacy as well as the content of preservative agents of six commercially grapefruit seed extracts were examined. Five of the six extracts showed a high growth-inhibiting activity against the test germs. In all of the antimicrobial active grapefruit seed extracts, the preservative benzethonium chloride was detected by thin layer chromatography. Additionally, three extracts contained the preserving substances triclosan and methyl paraben. In only one of the grapefruit seed extracts tested no preservative agent was found. However, with this extract as well as with several self-made extracts from seed and juiceless pulp of grapefruits (Citrus paradisi), no antimicrobial activity could be detected. Thus, it is concluded that the potent as well as nearly universal antimicrobial activity being attributed to grapefruit seed extract is merely due to the synthetic preservative agents contained within. Natural products with antimicrobial activity do not appear to be present.”

carebear said:
thanks mandolyn :)

You're welcome. It's easy to be mislead, especially when some people selling those are claiming "preservative".

The coconut milk sounds like a really cool idea! 8) If you haven't soaped with anything with a sugar content, you'll need to prepare for avoiding overheating in the mold.

I don't know about the shreds. It would look awesome, though. I hope you'll go ahead & try some & let us know how it works out. I'm thinking, because coconut milk isn't a saponifiable like the oil is, that it won't contribute to increased lather. I'd like to be proven wrong though, 'cause if it does - wow!! :lol:

somehow sugar really does modify the lather - I don't know if it makes MORE but it can feel much richer. so the sugar in the coconut milk could have an impact.

I did it !!! Real Coconut Juice Soap with PIC'S

Well I did it. Real coconut juice with real coconut.

First thing was getting the coconuts out of the shell.... :?

Then I drilled holes in the coconut to get the juice out.

Both coconuts together gave me 27 oz of juice

I then cracked open the coconuts

A little coconut lesson: After you get the juice out you crack open then place onto a cookie sheet. Cook the coconuts in a 350 deg oven for 20 minutes. Let cool then take a knife and score the inside of the coconut meat and pull out.

Then shread and toast in a 350 oven until coconut is golden brown....dont walk away or it will burn. you can also use the bagged coconut also.

I cheeted and used the bagged coconut because I was short on time and I also want to use the meat of the coconut to make coconut milk. PM me if you want to know how to do.

I then blended it up in my bullet....

I ground just like coffee..

Oil's ready....100 deg

Lye is ready....100 deg I mixed 8 oz of the coconut juice with the lye and kept it in ice to keep it from heating up...but it still changed colors....

When ready I added the rest of the coconut milk to the oils first then added the lye to keep the coconut juice cooler.

I then blended with my stick blender to trace. I added 2 oz of vanilla and the toasted coconut...It smells and looks awesome !!!!!!

Here it is in the molds......

After in the molds I placed in the fridge to keep it from heating up. I hope this doesn't cause any problems, but I wanted to keep the nice light color

Thanks ABT - your tutorial & pics are awesome! Placing in the fridge is probably a good idea. Apparently there is little difference to the finished qualities of the soap - just the appearance.

BTW - my DH is getting himself a magic bullet for his birthday next week....shhh - don't tell him you can use it to help with soaping.... :wink:

Tanya :)

abigtroutt said:
I found this on the net. Here is some information about Coconut Water:

"It's a natural isotonic beverage, with the same level of electrolytic balance as we have in our blood. It's the fluid of life, so to speak." In fact, during the Pacific War of 1941-45, both sides in the conflict regularly used coconut water - siphoned directly from the nut - to give emergency plasma trasfusions to wounded soldiers.

Most coconut water is still consumed fresh in tropical coastal areas - once exposed to air, the liquid rapidly loses most of its organoleptic and nutritional characteristics, and begins to ferment.

Coconut Water is More Nutritious than whole milk - Less fat and NO cholesterol!
Coconut Water is More Healthy than Orange Juice - Much lower calories
Coconut Water is Better than processed baby milk- It contains lauric acid, which is present in human mother's milk
Coconut water is naturally sterile -- Water permeates though the filtering husk!
Coconut water is a universal donor-- Its identical to human blook plasma
Coconut Water is a Natural Isotonic Beverage - The same level we have in our blood.
Coconut water has saved lives in 3rd world countries thru Coconut IV.
"Coconut water is the very stuff of Nature, biologically Pure, full of Natural Sugars, Salts, and Vitamins to ward off fatigue... and is the next wave of energy drinks BUT natural!", according to Mortin Satin, Chielf of the United Nation's Food & Agriculture Organization.

Coconut water contains more potassium (at about 294 mg) than most sports drinks (117 mg) and most energy drinks.

Coconut water has less sodium (25mg) where sports drinks have around 41mg and energy drinks have about 200 mg!

Coconut water has 5mg of Natural Sugars where sports and energy drinks range from 10-25mg of Altered Sugars.

Coconut water is very high in Chloride at 118mg, compared to sports drinks at about 39mg.

Data is based on a 100ml drink.

awesome info! got one thing to add... not that it has any relevance to soaping but dont just go drinking as much coconut milk as you can... its actually one of natures strongest natural laxitives as well !... (probably from the potassium content??)....but you should never drink more than 3 coconuts worth at a time (ie per 6hr digestion cycle) (learned that in a survival book)

Back