quick questiion - lime zest

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh, gosh, this probably wont be helpfull at all, but a few years ago i used just the thin zest of a couple oranges. it turned a little darker, but you definitely knew it was from oranges.

i'm sorry, but have no clue if lime will do the same.

good luck!

For some reason, every time I use zest in my soap (and have always tried the dried stuff), there is never a scent. I bet that the fresh stuff has more of the citrus oil present (could be wrong) and that may help with scent. However, I wonder if there's a need then for some sort of presevative in the soap due to fresh matter in it???

I made a lemon lime zest castile that is now a month or so old. The color has faded out (no more pretty green and yellow specks) and the scent is very very light. HTH

Kitn said:
I might be wrong here , but I think fresh zest could lead to mold issues.

Kitn

That was definitely one thing I was worried about. I plan to grate into tiny pieces. iS there somewhere I could get it already dried? I've looked in the grocery store and don't see it...

I'm not really expecting any fragrance to come through from it.

kwahlne said:
Kitn said:
I might be wrong here , but I think fresh zest could lead to mold issues.

Kitn

That was definitely one thing I was worried about. I plan to grate into tiny pieces. iS there somewhere I could get it already dried? I've looked in the grocery store and don't see it...

I'm not really expecting any fragrance to come through from it.
there is a food co-op place near me in atlanta that sells stuff like that. they have little chunks of dried orange peel, and all sorts of herbs there. maybe a natural food store will have it?

Kristin, I make a lime CP with dried lime zest (from the limes I juice for this soap too). I don't know if they add any scent as I use lime eo, lime juice and lime infused avocado oil in it as well, but the first batch I made the zest was fresh grated. Since then I dry it gently in the oven. I still have a couple of bars from the first batch and they are perfectly fine - no mould. Ummmmm......it was made in October last year, so that is, what?.....just over six months old now. I used 2 T fresh and now 1 T dried per 2 lb oils. HTH!

Tanya :)

Edited to add: I use a lime zester when I grate the skin - gives me very fine zest.

oooh, i love lime. i wanna see pics of finished products... ooh i think i wanna smell them for myself....feel free to forward some of those bad boys.lol

Latest posts

Back