Questions About Making Melt & Pour Baby Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenimae

Reaction score
Hello!

I've got a baby shower this weekend and wanted to make a quick batch of melt and pour soap for the baby. I have quite a bit of dried citrus peel for decoration along with some citrus powder I've ground up as well. I'm wondering if citrus is okay for a baby's tender skin?? I've also got lavender and camomile buds as well as finely ground oatmeal. I'm thinking of using some of my goat milk soap base to make the soap with. Is this okay??!! Since I'm quite new to soap making all together and am in a bit of a hurry, I was wondering if anybody could tell me if any of these ingredients would be okay for a newborn's skin? Is there anything that I should stay away from as far as babies are concerned?

Any feedback from all of you experienced ones would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! :)

Lenimae, a soap made for babies should have no additives at all, not even colour or scent. I should think citrus would be especially bad for a baby's tender skin. Actually, soap should not be used for babies under 6 months. I think most baby shower soaps are made to give to the people who attend the shower, not actually for the baby, so if that's the case, then you could add whatever you like.

I agree with Suzanne. I know a lot of parents out there regularly use soap on their babies, but a lot of doctors are advising against using any before 6 months. I have used my 1 r old castile soap on my 4 month old a couple times (sh!! don't tell my pediatrician ;) )

You could always make a nice soap for the mommy. Maybe a citrus oatmeal soap. Like a Breakfast For Your Skin soap.

Thank you both for your replies! Just wanted to make sure of a few things and now I know. Now onto making shower favor soaps for guests then, lol!! :D

Latest posts

Back