Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salsa780

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I’m wanting to make a good, acne-fighting soap bar. I’ve read up on the benefits of benzoyl peroxide in killing acne-causing bacteria, and I know it can be purchased as a powder. I also have super dry skin (especially in winter), so I’m thinking I’d like to use goat’s milk melt-and-pour. What I haven’t found out via Google is
1. Can you put benzoyl peroxide, powder or otherwise, in a melt-and-pour soap?
2. If you can, what’s a good recipe for that??
3. Does anyone here buy the powder? Where from??

Thank you all for letting me ask here!!

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but hopefully someone here will come along and do that.

What I did want to ask is whether this would be for personal use only. Hopefully you are aware (but others reading this thread may not be) that in the US, any claims made about using that kind of ingredient in any product requires FDA approval of that product as a drug, and proper labeling as such.

My other question is the use of both benzoyl peroxide and soap (esp M&P) on your whole face, when you have super dry skin. Both can be very harsh and drying. Have you considered putting the BP in some sort of oil-free lotion or serum that could be applied and left on targeted areas? :)

I'm sorry I can't answer your questions, but hopefully someone here will come along and do that.

What I did want to ask is whether this would be for personal use only. Hopefully you are aware (but others reading this thread may not be) that in the US, any claims made about using that kind of ingredient in any product requires FDA approval of that product as a drug, and proper labeling as such.

My other question is the use of both benzoyl peroxide and soap (esp M&P) on your whole face, when you have super dry skin. Both can be very harsh and drying. Have you considered putting the BP in some sort of oil-free lotion or serum that could be applied and left on targeted areas? :)
I didn’t know I’d need FDA approval (I haven’t looked up anything about selling it), but that makes sense. Thank you for telling me!! I’m just doing it for myself right now, I was considering selling it though if it were to be successful. If I need to jump through hoops to sell, though, it’s probably not worth the trouble. With this in mind, I wonder if I’ll even be able to buy bp…
I was thinking whole face, and I was hoping to have enough moisturizers in there to offset any harsh drying.

Yes, it is very, very difficult to get FDA approval for a product that contains a drug (BP) and makes claims to treat a medical condition (acne). The average person cannot afford to get through that process.

You could check some of the cosmetic suppliers to see if they carry it. If not, there are probably other ingredients that aren't FDA-approved as drugs, but may still have some positive effect for you. Soaps with charcoal and tea tree oil get rave reviews from many who fight acne, including one of my friends who asked me to make it for her husband, who has (had) terrible "back-ne." She claims this soap has made a huge different for him. I of course don't make any such claims, and I don't sell my soaps, so it's all anecdotal. HTH!

Yes, it is very, very difficult to get FDA approval for a product that contains a drug (BP) and makes claims to treat a medical condition (acne). The average person cannot afford to get through that process.

You could check some of the cosmetic suppliers to see if they carry it. If not, there are probably other ingredients that aren't FDA-approved as drugs, but may still have some positive effect for you. Soaps with charcoal and tea tree oil get rave reviews from many who fight acne, including one of my friends who asked me to make it for her husband, who has (had) terrible "back-ne." She claims this soap has made a huge different for him. I of course don't make any such claims, and I don't sell my soaps, so it's all anecdotal. HTH!
Thank you!

I just wanted to back up @AliOop to say that if you make something that goes on anyone else's skin, one needs to be very careful and telling them exactly what's in it.
1st, on your own skin, try things out locally b4 so you know if it'll give you a reaction, good or bad.
2nd, might want to do it in small batches b4 investing in materials that might be wasted if they either don't end up working, or work badly, or you could've found cheaper that work just as equally well.
In your case I'd try cheap ingredients you already have on hand, like salt, kosher or pickling (these don't have any additives, check the labels!).
My oldest son has had some really bad acne, & back-ne, outbreaks since becoming a teenager. Since he realized I could make good soaps he began asking me to make salt soaps for him bcs he'd heard they could help. So I investigated and I did find that there were instances where up to 25% salt-containing bars could be helpful.
I was able to make some that worked for him & some friends of his, but I'd suggest you try your own for your particular circumstances. I'd gladly help, if you want but I'm hesitant bcs I'd hate for you to think I'd led you astray. 🥺

Latest posts

Back