Question on Sodium Lactate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that adding enough salt to harden a bar makes it a bit on the brittle side. SL did not. JMO.

Did you have that problem when cutting or during use ?

Interesting, that was never a problem for me (but I'm using a piece of wire to cut soap so brittleness is never a problem).

I used salt in 2 cases:
- 1-3 tsp ppo - to harden a medium-hard bar
- much more - to harden an extremely soft bar (like a pure sunflower oil)

In neither case did I get any brittleness, but in second case there was virtually no lather. But I would expect some brittleness if using more than 1t ppo to harden a particularly hard bar.

Anyway, brittleness can be compensated with sugar/glycerin, I am more curious about the lather issue.

Like, for example - can you possibly use SL in large quantity (15%) to harden a very soft bar and still get good, oomphy lather ?

Don't know about the large quantity, but I do see that every site with info on it gives a 1 to 3% recommendation.

I only tried salt in the water once, and if I remember right I did 1 T PPO; it was just a little 2 pounder and I seem to recall adding 2 T. I haven't used it enough to really test, but I do remember I did not like it and pitched the notes on it. Even if both salt and SL were equal, I'd personally go with the ease of use of the SL. No dissolving (I have the liquid), and I can calculate exactly what I want to use so easily. I love the texture of the soap with SL. Just a good experience all around.

SL is nowhere near salt. When I soaped without SL I did the salt thing. It didn't see to do anything for my soap at all. I used 1 TBS PPO and would even put an extra TBS in on top of that.

SL is a whole different beast- it adds a lot to the soap. The biggest thing is smoothness- it just lends to that very much. Bubbles galore is another great thing.
CP soap in my experience can be unmolded quicker especially ungelled soap.

I think I said- I don't really get the fluidity because it doesn't see to do that for me though Aloe Juice does.

I think to be honest- it is worth digging out a supplier.

As far as a soft oil soap- yes it can be done but I think at 15% SL you risk brittleness.
You also wouldn't have to use that much.
I have used .7 oz PPO plus an extra .7 for good measure- that should be good. You can probably safely double as well. PM me for pointers if you would like or I can share them here- but I would have to know your type of soap. :)

I can send you a bit if you want to try it Frag. Do you live in the US?

Fragola said:
Like, for example - can you possibly use SL in large quantity (15%) to harden a very soft bar and still get good, oomphy lather ?

I've found that the old adage of 'too much of a good thing..." holds true for SL. If used too high, it can cause crumbly soap, and if used with too high of a water discount, even with a fairly modest % of SL, it can also cause crumbling. The trick is finding that 'sweet zone' that works with your formulas and your favorite lye solution % you like to work with.

Through trial and error, I found that I don't like going higher than 3% SL in my formulas. According to my SL supplier, it can be used twice as high as that- at 6%- but with the caveat that it can cause crumbling in some formulas at that usage rate. I should point out that I use the liquid kind of SL (a pre-mixed solution of 60% SL to 40% water). The info on my supplier's site also says SL can cause problems if you discount too much water in your formulas. I found that out the hard way. :lol:

For what it's worth, this is what I've found works for me in my formulas (for yours, it might be different):

3% SL (or 1 US tablespoon ppo) in my formulas when soaped with a 33% lye solution.

If I soap with a steeper discount, like a 35% lye solution, I have good results by lowering the amount of SL to 2 3/4 US teaspoons.

I buy my SL from Soapies Supplies.

IrishLass :)

I don't soap anything with steep discounts..not worth it to me- since I cure the soap the same amount of time. It's probably why SL works well for me.

I could see how with a deep discount it could cause some trouble if used too much.
Good point IL!

Stinkydancer said:
SL is nowhere near salt. When I soaped without SL I did the salt thing. It didn't see to do anything for my soap at all. I used 1 TBS PPO and would even put an extra TBS in on top of that.

SL is a whole different beast- it adds a lot to the soap. The biggest thing is smoothness- it just lends to that very much. Bubbles galore is another great thing.
CP soap in my experience can be unmolded quicker especially ungelled soap.

Stinky (you HAVE to tell me how you chose that name! :lol: ) that's what I was trying to say to Frag and you said it much better than I did.

LOL- everyone asks that. :D

The name actually came from my little girl. We both take dance classes and I teach as well and we had been in the studio for well over 3 hours. Driving home- I told her we needed a bath and she said we sure are "Stinky Dancers". At this time, I was trying to figure out a name for my shop online since I only sold at markets back then.
As soon as she said that- I looked at her and she said I think that would be a funny name for the soap shop. So there it was born. :) She was about 7 at the time and it just stuck. The good part is nobody really forgets it. :)

Stinkydancer said:
BakingNana said:
Stink - That's so cute! Out of the mouths of babes, right? :D

LOL- yep- and my kids and their mouths take the cake sometimes. :shock: :D

:lol: That's how I got mine, too. My granddaughter was talking to her friend about me, and her friend asked which grandma I was (she has 3). Granddaughter said "She's the baking nana." I'm the only one of the 3 who cooks and bakes. (I think I'm hijacking my own thread!)

Back