Question About Sugar Scrubs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullamoon

Reaction score
I just made a sugar scrub using 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of olive oil and ten drops of orange essential oil. The consistency seems right but when I used it I couldn't wash it off my hands. I will say my hands are pretty soft now, but I had to SCRUB with Dawn dish liquid to get off the oily film.

How do people use it in the bath or shower without slipping and killing themselves? I was hoping to make this for my nieces Christmas gifts but am having second thoughts. My friends say they love sugar scrubs but now I don't know. I've never used one so I don't know if this was a good recipe or not or if I should have added something else? What do you all think?

Thank you.

My sugar scrub contains an emulsifier and cream soap.

However, for personal use I like to scrub with just fine salt and olive oils as well, or mostly salt and a bit of sugar...

Thank you - and do you wash it off with soap afterwards? Should I give out instructions on use with the jars? Or do people generally know?

The recipe did not call for one. I did read one that called for some drops of vitamin and it mentioned this will serve as a preservative. Is there something better or will that suffice? I think it's too late for this one small batch because I think it makes most sense to mix the oils together before adding it to the sugar.

Thank you! That looks like a good one. I love how easy they are to mix. I am thinking of having a Christmas luncheon for a few friends and getting the supplies, having them mix it up and then each goes home with a jar or two. Fun, quick and easy.

Fullamoon said:
The recipe did not call for one. I did read one that called for some drops of vitamin and it mentioned this will serve as a preservative. Is there something better or will that suffice? I think it's too late for this one small batch because I think it makes most sense to mix the oils together before adding it to the sugar.

For this batch, you could give directions that the containers shouldn't be opened/stored in humid area's (bathroom) and to scoop the scrub out with a clean spoon.
Vitamin E is an antioxidant and will not do...

Agriffin's recipe does contain water (in the liquid soap), so you'll need a proper preservative :wink:

even without water in the formula, you need a preservative. even if you give instructions, someone is going to dip into it with wet hands, or open the jar in the bathroom and water will be introduced. and people will hoard it, so the goo will have plenty of time to grow.

I add some glycerin soap to my scrubs,the oils come of nicely and still leave enough to make my skin feel nice.

Anytime there's a chance that water might get introduced into your scrub, you will need a preservative. This includes moisture in your bathroom, drops of water from the shower or damp fingers.

And just so you know, Vit. E or Grapefruit Seed Extract are not preservatives. They only work as anti-oxidants, which means they help extend the shelf life of your oils and that's it.

Thanks you all for your replies! I hadn't checked back until this morning. I also haven't made any more but a friend mentioned she would love some, so I will try again.

Latest posts

Back