Question about scents...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinahSea

Reaction score
:p Hello,
Newbie here with a question about scents.
How much scent do you typically use per lb?
It seems there is enough FO to count toward
the liquid measurement. How do you count this?
Would you reduce the water or the oils by this much?

Make sure any scents you use are skin safe. Generally, most FO's are used at 0.5 to 1 ounce per pound of oils or a maximum rate of 5%, EO's at no more than 3%, BUT many are NOT safe at even a fraction of those rates! Always check with the supplier, they should be able to tell you.

And no, as Seifenblasen said, you do not adjust your recipe for fragrance at all.

Thank you. I have looked at the Brambleberry site. It gives a range of usage amounts, but I haven't been able to find any info about how to add this liquid in.

You simply weigh it out. If you are making cold process, I like to add my FO to my oils before adding the lye so if it accelerates trace, I am sure the fragrance is already pretty well mixed in and hopefully will have less of a fight getting it into the mold. If it is hot process soap, when your soap is done cooking in the pot, simply add your FO to the soap and stir it in thoroughly. When you think you've stirred enough, stir another 30 seconds just to be super thorough. If its for MP soap, simply melt then add the FO to the melted soap and stir thoroughly and pour.

That's up to you. If you CP, most people add it in after the soap has reached trace. If you have a particularly finicky fragrance, you can add it in with your oils up front before the lye. If you HP, the fragrance gets added after the cook. Make sure you stir and thoroughly incorporate it into the soap batter before it goes in the mold, otherwise it can precipitate out or leave little spots.

Thank you, New12Soap .. I've got some FO's from Brambleberry. It just seems like a lot of liquid to not count somewhere. I have been careful to pick safe products. Whew!! Lots to learn!!

Latest posts

Back