question about colors

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennibean

Reaction score
I've just started making soap and I really want to start playing around with color (looking at pictures of of soaps on the forum is giving me major soap envy :wink: ). What's everyone's favorite/prefered type of color to use?

Can you use any micas? Or does it have to be specialy designed for CP soap? :roll: And what's the best way to incorporate them in your soap?

I agree with all of the above, micas are great! You simply blend them into a small amount of oil and add at trace. The "pop" micas are my fav's too, and a little goes a long way.

So far I've mostly used 'natural' colours and I'm enjoying having some fun with them.

I used ground cinnamon in a cinnamon EO soap and tumeric in an orange poppy seed soap. I'm looking forward to trying paprika and cocoa soon ... just have to find a smell I feel goes with the look I hope it might give.

There's a thread on this forum about natural colours and it's given me loads of ideas.

I just got a sampler from BB so I've been playing with those. And yes...I love charcoal! I use it alot.

I haven't tried micas, but I love ultramarines (blue & purple) and there a loads of pretty natural colors as well. I like anatto, madder, rose clay and more.

TKB here as well and I have mineral oxides from BB. I have found almost all the TKB micas can be premixed with water as well before mixing with the soap, which can be helpful if you want to mix a small amount of soap batter with a lot of mica to get a strong effect; that way you don't have to worry about having a really superfatted accent.

I have only had my pop micas for a few weeks now but I am having lots of fun with them. I wonder if the soap lather will be a pop color as well??
I just ordered some micas from Brambleberry as well. I have been stamping alot of my soap recently and then dusting the stamp impressions with mica. Lots of fun, very easy and very pretty, as well. I have done swirls with my micas and colored the whole batch as well. I was getting so tired of my cream colored soaps! I am finding the micas a bit easier to incorporate than clays or oxides.

Thanks everyone! I just ordered a few micas from Brambleberry....now I just have to wait :? I can't wait to have some fun!

Lyn, have been trying to track down some activated charcoal in Aus. Is it available here ?

Relle.

Latest posts

Back